1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "The Last Dance" Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The first two parts are rally well done. Don’t know when viewership numbers come out, but this will draw a huge number, i think.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Mine is simply viewed from the prism of being a Suns fan.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Shaq said the same thing years later. "Company time"

4. poindexter

Fricking Bobby Knight comes off looking by far the smartest back then. He watched him in the summer of 1984 and pretty unequivocally said that Jordan is the best basketball player he's ever seen.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

A quick reminder that Knight also cut John Stockton and Charles Barkley from that team, keeping Steve Alford, Vern Fleming and Jeff Turner, so I'd say his track record as a talent evaluator is mixed.

6. poindexter

True dat.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Amazing how little has changed when it comes to Peoria hotels.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

With Barkley, didn't he make some sort of off-color crack about Knight right at the end of camp?

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Jordan has said David Thompson was the best player he'd ever seen.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

IIRC, Barkley said he couldn’t play defense to Knight’s standards, but I think he enjoyed the experience and it gave him the confidence that he could play with anyone in the world.

Vern Fleming was a pretty good pro. Stockton over Alford easily but Knight might have realized he needed a player to translate how he was to others, so Alford stays. He also had to coach Alford for two more years.

I remember the note story...

Good read about 1984 Olympic team.

Los Angeles

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Thompson would have stayed in the hotel room.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's no way this story really needed 10 hours to tell, but now the filmmakers look brilliant for it.

Enjoyed the split-second that they showed the public address announcer. Sometime over the next eight episodes they've got to do a little bit on that guy. Those intros never got old.

Draft saved Draft deleted