1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not normally. But I have watched a few old games (i.e., the Caps-Knights entire Stanley Cup Final was on Sunday) and I watched Better Call Saul live last night. That was enough to give me a pretty good sample size for what the current state of advertising is.

spikechiquet likes this.
  2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Angel Soft pointing out that they are still making shit tickets ... gee, thanks. I needed to know this.

Or Dominos getting rid of the delivery guy at the end of the Risky Business remake. Thanks, I was sooo going to stroke out if I saw that pizza guy less than 6-ft away from the kid. And now the edit makes it look like he puts on pants to grab a pizza that was left at his door? Really, no one does that.

And the "contactless" buzzword ... ugh. Make it staaaahp. It's up there with "New & Improved" for useless marketing terms. Yeah, pizza has always been taken out of the oven and put in the box. Derp.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I used to agree with you on that, but the neighborhood-wide petition changed my mind.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Funny thing about that commercial: look closely and you’ll see that each pack of paper comes off the line one at a time.

No wonder there’s no TP anywhere!

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

Well, not unless you're from Little Nero's and actually fall for an unsupervised eight-year-old using sound bytes from "Angels With Filthy Souls" to pose as an adult.

spikechiquet and Wenders like this.
  6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've actually done the "Contactless Delivery" a few times already. They leave it at the stoop, I thank them through the screen door. My pizza last week was also delivered in a garbage bag by a delivery guy with gloves and a mask on, so he never even touched my pizza box with his hands.

ADanielPandR and sgreenwell like this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

We've done curbside twice so far - very easy at HEB, the only annoying thing is that they often won't sub in appropriate items, or forget things. Still though, definitely worth the 3 percent charge to minimize exposure.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

You have an HEB?! I'm so jealous. They haven't made it to my neck of Texas yet.

I once tried to do pickup at Kroger and after filling a cart, there was not a single time that I could select for pickup. So I had to abandon my cart and went to Winco (which is actually awesome - only so many allowed in at once, they were disinfecting the shopping carts as they were handing them out, extra wide aisles already, making it easy to avoid people, etc.)

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yup! I'm in the Houston suburbs, so there are about six within 10 miles of me, haha. The crazy thing is that the demand is there for all of them - like, it's 5 to 10 days in the future that you have to place your order.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've been doing plenty of takeout and have not once felt unsafe walking into a restaurant. Some places don't give you that option and will just bring your stuff outside.

The only time I was a little skeeved out was when I stopped into a smaller bodega for something. Won't make that mistake again. Quarters are just too tight and people aren't respecting the six feet thing.

11. Spartan Squad

The Hi Chews commercial where the woman is shooting color into a dull supermarket with Hi Chews is innocuous enough, but finally saw the extended version and it's a little problematic.

The lowly, sad Hispanic woman who is mopping the floor...

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.46.21 PM.png

... becomes the Chiquita Banana woman.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 10.47.06 PM.png

Everyone else is a normal shopper. It might just be me, but this just screams of not OK.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Spartan Squad

Question, the Head and Shoulders is "strong on style, soft on scalp" but how does it do with repeated encounters with my fist to the face? Can I test it on the dramatic head turn guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted