1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

In which Bill Hicks will once again be right for the wrong reasons.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I was thinking more along the lines of George Strait, but yeah.

Batman and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seeing the price of gas crater and the skies above LA return to a shade of blue makes me wonder if we've gone from "theoretical" to fact about climate change. It's always bugged me we've gotten the old fake science routine to make a debate about something that isn't debateable (see tobacco). To me the essential question was always if we are prepared to do the things we need to do with regard to changing our habits and economy to save the planet.
    These past three weeks have been a test run. Looking forward to seeing what the scientific impacts are. Granted, I doubt we shut down the global economy for a month every year for the good of the planet. But what if enough people realize they can work from home, or take shorter car trips? More people have their groceries delivered to cut down on car trips. People remembering how much they enjoy riding a bike.
    It's going to be interesting to find out.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

But will you throw the Golden Gate in free?

Batman and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The hope I have is we start going away from centralized offices for certain companies. Some businesses may find it is actually cheaper to have a smaller campus and allow more people to work from home. Have more video conferences for interoffice meetings, but have a place for in-person meetings when a physical space is needed. That could drastically cut down on the need to be in the car for one, two or three hours—one way—to take care of things that can be done at home.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I know there is a big debate going on now about some of the wildlife stories.
    There were three deer in my back yard yesterday.
    Deer in my yard isn't unprecedented, but the way and manner they came strolling through is certainly out of the ordinary.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So, uh, this doesn't look good.

Tor-Con.jpg

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've got a particular area of my county that has been told to expect 80mph winds over the next 24 hours. The wind blows there on calm days, but dang.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That storm will hit here first. Some good spring snow about to hit, with 3-6 in the city and possibly 8-12 just 20 miles to the west in the foothills. It hit 70 each of the past two days here.

Noted: Perfectly normal this time of year here, except for the fact temps will drop into the teens the next two days. THAT is abnormal. But swinging from 70s and people in shorts and bikinis in the parks to snow the next is not.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Sure. The deck will be only 40’ underwater.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The oceans don’t cool down overnight.

The atmosphere probably gets filtered pretty quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted