1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Lived in Tampa, also spent a fair amount of time in New Orleans and Houston. In my experience, the weather gets more humid and miserable the farther west you go along the Gulf Coast among those cities.

And for that guy who thinks there's nothing to do in Tampa, it's Vegas compared with Jacksonville.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know, OOP.

I hammered Newton for not making much of an effort to dive on the loose ball in the Super Bowl. I hammered him harder for his crap postgame presser.

But he has been on the wrong end of too much racial crap. Way too much. Additionally, I think the way the Panthers treated him was bad at best and embarrassing at worst. Given the total body of work - not just the one play during the Super Bowl - he took more hits than any quarterback should. He played hurt. He tried to play injured. He soldiered on. And the Panthers crapped on him. His release was flat-out botched.

I didn't hesitate to criticize when I disagreed with his actions or words. The criticisms, in the bigger picture, were minor quibbles. In summary, he deserved better. From the team and, I suspect, from more than a few fans who never saw beyond the color of his skin.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They could not pay me enough to live in Houston. The humidity, combined with the pollution from the oil refineries in the area and the zillion cars usually stuck in the ridiculous traffic there, makes breathing hard work.

It's awful.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, but - the suburbs man. For the same price we were paying in Rhode Island, we went from 600 square feet to about 2,000. While the heat is a mild discomfort for me, it's a huge improvement for my fiancee, who's got some nerve stuff going on that makes cold weather untenable.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The heat is a mild discomfort because it's early April. Talk to me once blessed October arrives.

6. sgreenwell

Already spent a summer here - She loved it. I wasn't a fan, but it was mostly manageable because everything is indoors anyway.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My youngest brother lived in Houston for 15 years. He was happy there. Used to say to me, "in Boston you're indoors three months a year. Same here, just different months."

Neutral Corner and sgreenwell like this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's bearable as long as you can stay where there is AC. I deal with the heat far better than the cold as well. I can't imagine living in Houston back before AC, in a house with tall windows so you can open the top half to let the heat out. Nothing but a fan and maybe an attic fan to move the air and sitting on the front porch in the shade praying for the wind to blow... nah.

I mean, I think Montana is a lovely place, and I bet I'd really enjoy living there about three months out of the year. When it comes to having to dig the car out before I can leave, I'm not a fan. Places where you have to plug in the heater for your car's engine block are right out.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The hottest I've ever been was in Houston. Back when the Dodgers had their own plane, the airport people in Houston did not allow the crew to board and do the pre-flight checks until the entire traveling party was there. That plane sat baking in the sun for 4 days until the group got to it after the series-finale on Sunday. We all had to get on the plane. Only then did the pre-flight checks begin, and it was at least a half hour before they could fire it up and get the AC started.

10. sgreenwell

By the way guys, the Texans made another trade. Knives out from Barnwell and others.

Any time you can parlay a truly elite, Top 3 at his position player into an old running back and a declining wideout, both with large contracts, you gotta do it!

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think the TV ratings for the NFL draft are going to be astronomical. People are so desperate for anything related to live sports.

Webster likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not to mention the suspense and comedy in waiting for and then watching as some franchise screws up its remote technology that elementary school children are using by the millions right now. Anyone wanna bet its NOT the Browns?

Draft saved Draft deleted