1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Bolivar Commercial

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Small, 104-year-old paper in Cleveland, Mississippi, announced it is shutting down. Story says the 10 employees there had a combined 222 years at the paper.

Bolivar Commercial to close its doors

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Despite a couple typos, that's a well-done story with some well thought out comments from the owner and publisher.

Sadly, we'll probably be seeing quite a few stories like this in the next few months.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like they would have been good guys to work for.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, for once, a publisher who didn’t say these are “exciting times!”

Hoping for the best for those employees. Sounds like they were really dedicated to their work.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Andy Collier did an outstanding job in sports. Sorry to learn this news.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Last I saw of it (10-plus years ago), pagination left a lot to be desired but, man, was the paper mega-local. Served Cleveland and surrounding Delta towns well. On two different occasions, another paper sprung up to give them competition and Commercial kicked their butts.

On a different front, I learned only this morning that an owner of one of those competitors is gravely ill with COVID-19. He covers Ole Miss sports for an online outlet. Think it's called 24/7, or something like that.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Only in family ownership is the owner willing to cover losses out of his pocket. Remarkable.
    I did not know that local car dealers were impacted by the terms of the bailout package as explained in this story.

Liut likes this.
  8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's such a shame. So much of local history is going to disappear with this.

I'm adopted and I've just been recently researching my birth mother's life, from the early 1970s. I learned so much. Where she went to school. What she majored in and what scholarships she got. Whose wedding she was in. And those obits were priceless. All from little daily papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted