1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hearst NOT making cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Apr 9, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be. Fredrick gives credit where it is due. Thank you, Hearst for being human and wise and nice. To the rest of you chains that cut or will cut, bah humbug.

Dr. Van Nostrand likes this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wait till the pandemic ends — and watch out below.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'm taking this announcement with a HUGE grain of salt.

Dr. Van Nostrand likes this.
  5. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

I know a few people at Hearst papers who literally haven't gotten raises since Bush 43 was in the White House. Not even a cost-of-living raise.

Nice PR move though.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Oops Fredrick was hoping Hearst was different and this was impressive and nice. My bad.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I should've known by the thread title. Patty had a Thompson gun, not knives.

8. jim lefko

jim lefko New Member

Don’t sing the praises of Hearst too loudly. I got laid off from the San Antonio Express-News - a Hearst paper - less than 2 years ago as part of a 16-person lay-off. Sports - a traditional APSE multi award winner - has been gutted there with the department less than half the size it was 3 years ago. The entire paper has become a virtual bureau of the Houston Chronicle and is on its third publisher in little more than a year. Salaries are puny, meaning the 1% raise gets them up to merely pathetic.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This could be tied in to the SBA loan program, and something you might see a number of small and mid-size papers dress up as a PR move. To get the loans and not have to pay them back, a company has to maintain its current level of payroll (or as I understand it, the average of the last 12 months). So depending on the size of the Hearst papers, they might be eligible for some of those loans and can't cut staff for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted