1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Advance Publications Beg-a-thon

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

The Star Ledger and nj.com are both non-union, so the axe can fall at any time. It appears today's public plea for new subscribers is a desperation move. I expect little success in generating new subscribers, so job cuts will result. Interestingly, nj.com is the only instate news site by a day paper without a paywall.
    Our journalism needs your support more than ever. Please subscribe to NJ.com.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

What is the alternative? Give up? More than a few readers are asking places like Advance sites how they can help keep the journalism pipeline going.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'd rather read something like that than the condescending stuff the top brass write when they announce slashed salaries, furloughs and layoffs and buyouts. You never know. Some rich person might give a couple million. Worth a shot.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wait, NJ Patch is still free!

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Newspapers need to get to brass tax and have a "vote off." Put pictures of two staffers up - they get to write a blurb about why they deserve to stay and how much their job means to them. Vote is open only to subscribers. There was one big banner headline on one local site I check out - a funeral home offering specials on creamation.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. adcs2

adcs2 Member

The Advance Publications model is:

1) Remove no-layoffs policy - "‘no full-time, non-represented, regular employee will ever be laid off because of economic conditions or because of the introduction of new technology"

2) Tell everyone that there are no immediate plans of layoffs

3) Get rid of presses; layoff production people; Implement two weeks of furloughs for everyone else (essentially paycuts)

4) Appoint new leaders, i.e. hatchet men (offer buyouts, layoff people if not enough accept buyout package)

5) Create new entities; Don't offer jobs to everyone in those new companies - Out with the old (expensive) in with the new (cheap) - "We launched XXX Advance Media to position our affiliated
    companies for the future in a rapidly evolving digital landscape and we're pleased with our progress. MANY local employees of (previous entity) will be offered jobs with XXX Advance Media, although there will be SOME job losses."

6) Sell assets (buildings); move into smaller rental boutique newsrooms. Not enough room for ALL in the new facility so cut even deeper; tell public the reorganization will better position both
    the newspaper and its web affiliate to focus on a real-time approach to distributing news.

7) Don't put up a paywall; instead opt for a Beg-A-Thon

Is #8 turn off the lights, the party is OVER?

britwrit and jr/shotglass like this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Where is this? I need to sign up.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cremation - whatever. I'd just got home from a 10-hour shit when I wrote that, give me a break.

shift I mean.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fair enough. If I just got done with a 10-hour shit I'd want to be cremated too.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They do make stuff to help with constipation.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Why is asking for people to subscribe and support journalism seen as begging?

Draft saved Draft deleted