1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don’t read the comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I waste their time with 15-minute poop, coffee, and mental cleansing breaks. It tends to even out.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The suits actually could save some money for the CEOs by getting rid of all physical buildings. I know most newspapers have moved to small tacky buildings in their cities and have already sold the prime property, but this is some $$ that could be piled up to be given to the CEOs. As somebody said there's really no need to gather as a news team anymore with newspapers printed off site.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

My experience has been they bug your ass even more if you're working remotely, with the endless messaging.

Some managers can't justify their positions unless they're playing God in a building, virtual or otherwise.

4. Fredrick

What gets me is the managers never gravitate toward the little guy/gal, the sports reporters who have more common sense than anybody in the building and are in the field daily. The managers gravitate toward the suits especially the corporate suits and they converse via email in all buzzwords.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

It's not too late. They pay for anything but content and people who write it. They are probably even more desperate now and even more easily sold on "new visions."

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Fredrick

Definitely. There's money to be made in consulting. Some smart consultants have pilfered a fortune from newspaper suits who as you say "pay for anything but content and people who write it."

studthug12 likes this.
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fuggin suits

8. stix

stix Well-Known Member

Well before this virus hit, I was doing a huge majority of my work from home. I can do basically anything from home that I can in the office, except there's some necessary applications installed on my office computer like timecard punches, etc., that I still drop in there for.

I have no clue why anyone needs an office nowadays. And with no live sports to cover at the moment, I could literally do 100 percent of what I'm doing now from across the globe.

When this stuff all subside, I would hope to hell that we pretty much stay the way we are right now. Any expenses on a large office are colossal waste of money.

9. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I am lucky to have a great boss, though.

If I get done what I need to get done, I hear nary a peep. He's not a micro-manager, which I'm incredibly thankful for. Actually one of the higher-ups in this business who spends his time on things worthy of spending his time on.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember when Advance (NJ.com ) had Forums. I read it mostly to stay plugged into HS baseball, when that was a thing.

There are still places online for mostly civil, informative anonymous discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted