1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett announces furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 30, 2020.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

um, he is a caricature. I ignored the account when it stopped being funny.

PaperClip529 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Actually they make you look like a SUIT

Sorry couldn’t resist

HanSenSE and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When was it ever funny?

PaperClip529 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That's actually not ridiculous, Barf.

Someone who doesn't know what work other departments do, doesn't care to find out about other departments and just issues blanket statements without regard to the truth or reality, just to try to prop up their own arguments and point of view.

Applies to Fredrick and his "suits".

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It was sorta funny at first because it reminded me of somebody I once worked with. It became repetitive very fast.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On Coco's note on ads... about two weeks ago, we had a Toyota dealership talking about how they're ready to "buy your car". That changed overnight... to me, the sign of a true recession on the way. At least, in 2008, we saw the shift from soft ads for higher-end brands to the McDonald's $1 menu over about a year's time. This took about a week.

TEGNA has been open to buyers in recent months, before all of this hit. They have a very desirable portfolio when you look at their top markets. Good shops in Denver, Minneapolis, Seattle, St. Louis, Phoenix, Atlanta, DC. Markets where people watch a lot of TV.

But their stations are bloated. They still have a lot of high-dollar anchors in these newsrooms and also multiple anchor teams at night.

In 2020, anchors are like quarterbacks. They're paying a lot of "$40 million contracts for Dak Prescotts and Andy Daltons" -- people who have been there for a long time -- but is the extra money worth the WAR? You don't need Tom Brady or 2015 Aaron Rodgers to be #1. You just can't do by going cheap with Haskins or Osweiler.

As an anchor myself, I'd love to think that WE are the reasons that people watch. In a select few markets now, that's still the case but those dinosaurs are dying. I could get fired today and the ratings would probably be fine tomorrow.

When this all shifts, it'll be even more difficult for a #3 or #4 newsroom to survive. The #1 and #2 shops will survive. Another thinning of the herd.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There will be massive changes at TV stations when all of this ends. Massive.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Especially in the metro areas and where there are younger people.

The events of the last month are forcing me to think about whatever the "next stage" will be for the 30+ years I plan to keep working. I love what I do. Love news. Love presenting the "daily history" where I live. Have had a good run in TV news for 25 years and, perhaps, I could keep on in my current role.

MileHigh and I Should Coco like this.
  9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The difference is news editors immediately OK overtime in a situation like that if there's nobody to cover the story. Sports? Overtine is not allowed. Period.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Not trying to be funny, just paint both sides. Maybe I'm a little hard on management, but I feel like sports newspaper reporters and copy editors and photographers (are there any left?) are loyal, hard working, team players, talented, willing to do anything for the paper/website (skip important family events; work unpaid overtime) and for all that work they get ... laid off, furloughed, treated very very poorly on evaluations, never get raises. If the conditions aren't as bad as I say for sports writers the last 10 years, please educate me. Sorry if I offend. I feel I have to be anti-suit and pro-reporter/copy editor/photographer.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Gannett stock closes at 66 cents per share on Tuesday.

12. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

Four down, 26 to go.

If a stock on the NYSE closes under $1 for 30 straight trading days, it can be delisted.

Some of you may remember the delisting death watch that occurred when Journal Register finally joined Bob Jelenic in the rat-infested newsroom in hell.

Looks like GCI will join JRC soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted