1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm going on unconfirmed information now, but apparently the wife and child of my neighbor who died both have it, as do others on that street. I'm making sure I get more sleep and anything else I can do to boost the immune system. Also, I'm staying the fuck home.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As of, well, today, there are nine states in the US above the "32 deaths per 1M population" for the nation overall.

NY - 243
    NJ - 113
    LA - 110
    MI - 73
    CT - 58
    WA - 46
    MA - 38
    VT - 37
    DC - 35

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My school's team doctor has it. He even briefed the county commission last month about it.
    Someone just sent me a screen shot of a post he'd made on facespace or something saying he was going on a ventilator.
    The dude is an MD. He's younger than me. The post pretty much sounded like he was packing it in.
    I'm already one degree of separation from a coronavirus death. When he goes, that will be zero degrees.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Denver stay-at-home order extended from April 11 to April 30. Statewide is April 11, but I expect that change later tonight when the governor speaks.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sure that's a decision they can reverse if they so wish.

The IMHE model shows that, for Minnesota, zero beds will be needed for C19 by June 15.

And they're closing them through August.

Of course, this decision was made April 2, so perhaps thought processes have changed in recent days.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

April 30 is prudent. I'm planning on that where I am.

9. MileHigh

Agreed. Let's see where we are at the end of the month, then start projecting late summer/fall events (sports, school, etc.) I would hope that by Friday, May 1, we have a reopening of businesses, including bars and restaurants, with the caveat of keep up social distancing, etc.

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

And the ending of Doctor Strangelove

11. MileHigh

Interesting Colorado numbers of late.

The number of new cases has been fewer than the previous day each of the past three days. Only up 222 today. Rate of doubling is now at just more than seven days.
    Hospitalizations now at just short of 1,000. Doubling rate now at just more than every six days
    150 deaths. Rate of doubling at just more than five days.

University of Washington model last week had the peak of deaths per day to be 85 on April 18 with a total death rate of 2,154 by Aug. 4.

It now shows the peak of deaths per day to be 14 yesterday (though there were 18 reported on March 31) and now a total death count of 302 by Aug. 5.

That's a wildly fluctuating model. Hoping this trend of new cases and slowing of deaths continues.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Weekend numbers tend to be lower because many private labs are closed. You may see them catch up today.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted