1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per CNN: Boris Johnson in ICU.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I heard a correspondent mention Vera Lynn on Morning Joe and had to look her up — a British singer who was hugely popular in WWII.

Dame Vera Lynn is still alive and just turned 103, putting out a video on her 103rd birthday.

Only reason I've heard her name before was because Pink Floyd name-checked her on The Wall.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

She trended because the Queen name checked her and this song in her speech. This was a huge hit during WWII. It's probably most associated with Bob Hope in the U.S.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Boris Johnson going away will a seismic change in the perspective of this.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wish him well.

Worth noting he was an early proponent - "take it on the chin" - of the the UK's abandoned herd immunity strategy.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This is the leader of a nation being a casualty.

Fuck me.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It would have to compel all public figures to stop shaking hands and to take the six-foot-radius guideline seriously.
    Johnson is only 54, I think.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I haven’t lived in Minnesota for thirty-three year but this hit me more than any of the cancellations and closing that actually affect my life. I grew up in south Minneapolis, near the Chain of Lakes. As soon as I was old enough to ride my bike outside the immediate neighborhood, I spent hours at those lakes. Of course, I would have gotten into much less shit every summer if the beaches had been closed.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Stock market up 1,600 points, "defying grim coronavirus predictions," per Washington Post.
    Great news, but why? I have zero understanding of these things.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It might even make Trump think about stopping it.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted