1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Augusta National is going to have The Masters in November, competing against football (maybe) and deer season for viewers.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Might have mentioned this previously but if sports come back as tv only with no fans I hope that they can give us some interesting venues.

NBA in a high school gym where everything can be heard. NHL in a community rink where there is one set of bleachers and a wall. Might make for some interesting television, or not.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

But it will also be after many golfers in the Northeast and Midwest have been forced into winter hiatus, the main reason Masters is always the highest-rated major when it's in early April.

4. Inky_Wretch

It also falls in a TV window where there is not much else to compete against it. That won't be the case in November. Provided football happens in the fall.

Should be good napping TV after lunch at deer camp (provided we can gather in groups of 10 or more by then).

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If they're smart they'll do it before opening day. I remember living in Houston, where at ten in the morning on the Friday before opening day there would be traffic reports on the jammed interstates, all headed out of town to their deer camps.

I had a couple of running buddies who flat loved that Friday night. The bars would be full of pissed off women whose old men had gone to the woods, and some of them would look favorably on guys who would pay them some attention, so off they'd go. The serious down side was that if he happened to come back for some reason he'd have a deer rifle with him...

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Is the PGA really planning fan-less tourneys? In June? Good luck with that.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

PGA Tour or PGA Championship? PGA Championship is planned for August.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm curious how things shake out post-return. Went by the local recycling center and they were overloaded with crud. I imagine Goodwill is going to be overwhelmed when they reopen as well. If nothing else, after a thorough de-cluttering and spring cleaning, people may have a better understanding of what they "need." And find they really enjoy a more streamlined existence.
    Curious what impact that will have on the economy.

Alma likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It's doable.

Players, caddies, rules officials and television crews are the only essential personnel. Perhaps an equipment truck. Maybe some other club employees like kitchen workers, etc. Spread it all out over a 350-acre golf course, and yes, it's doable. Maybe the personal trainers and massage therapists, etc., don't set up for these early tournaments.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Certainly been true for me over the last three weeks. And some of it is you forget you had the shit. I had a little tailgate grill in my basement I'd forgotten about, obviously, because I bought...another tailgate grill.

Draft saved Draft deleted