1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tom Dempsey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Oop, I thought Cox totally misfired it. Like, a squibbler that went about 12 yards. Memory is a tricky thing, but I swear I remember him lining up with Len Berman on the call. Berman was saying "Cox was known for hitting 60 yarders in practice," because I think he was the punter and not the kicker. Then, Berman laughed when he totally misfired.

But I could be nuts

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Glad you thought so. Some people are dense.

Chef2 likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Very very accurate.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought he hit one, but maybe it's just my memory failing me and the story was he tried it.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Steve Cox made a 60-yarder at Cincinnati in 1984.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Ah Im wrong....kudos to you, oop

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha. You had me doubting my memory. That year was my peak as a football junkie, so I'm usually pretty good about what I can recall from that season.

8. Elliotte Friedman

I just found that Cox missed a 64-yarder, on the last play of regulation Dec. 2, 1984 vs Cincy. So I'm not completely insane.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

to wrap my head around this, both Rutigliano and Schottenheimer had Cox attempt 60 or more yard kicks in the same year against the same team.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In 1981 Tulane's spring game was a mix of varsity and alums. Eddie Murray was coming off a Pro Bowl MVP rookie season with the Lions and was there. There was a big barbecue at the practice field the day before the game. So Ed's there in shorts and sneakers, and a bellyful of chicken and crawdads. He grabs a ball and tees it up from 65 yards. "Listen to this sound," he says. Like a gunshot, and it was straight down the middle.

Inspired, I kicked an extra point in the spring game the next day as the second team beat the varsity.

Draft saved Draft deleted