1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tom Dempsey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Apr 5, 2020.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Before I go to some newspaper archives, anyone know if 60 yarders had been tried on any consistent basis? I know Rechichar had set the record in 1953 at 56 yards, but was there any hoopla over the years? Like a headline on the cover Street and Smith ala “The race for 60! Can Gogolak do it?”

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think it was just a really freak situation. At the time, FG attempts over 50 yards were still considered unusually long.

It was considered somewhat remarkable that the new wave of soccer kickers were consistently kicking the ball into the end zone on kickoffs.

Supposedly the Saints coach read the yard markers wrong when he sent Dempsey in to kick-- he thought it was 53, not 63 yards.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That is what I was thinking. Only story I remember reading about distance was everyone being surprised when Don Chandler kicked a long one against the colts in 1965 and Lombardi congratulating him by saying, “you know you can’t kick it that far.”

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Is he related to @Chef2 ?

Chef2 likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

As mentioned, so much greatness in that NFL films. That Kilmer threw the woundedest of wounded ducks for the set up throw is just too funny.

I am old enough to remember Dempsey playing (but not that kick). If he managed to hang around the league for 10 years, he did great.

NFL Films sets the NFL so much apart from the other leagues. It is such an asset.

Jesus_Muscatel and Vombatus like this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This was linked in the covid thread.

Excellent call by Don Criqui. Rose to the moment.

Baron Scicluna and Vombatus like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't Tulane Stadium also below sea level?

Still the greatest kick in NFL history, IMHO. Not aided by altitude, a dome, or a synthetic surface that makes for better footing.

cyclingwriter2 and Vombatus like this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And the goalposts were at the goal line.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As mentioned, he also had a partial arm with just a couple of fingers. Interestingly enough, in addtion to kicking, he played on the defensive line in junior college.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Rechichar also just died last July. For his record kick, he was sitting on the bench when Weeb Ewbank called for him. Rechichar replied to a teammate, “What the hell does he want me for now?”, before being told to go in and kick.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

What the fuck is wrong with you?
    Tom Dempsey is nobody's sick joke.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dempsey was one of the very last straight-on kickers who also played as a lineman. For several decades it had been thought that linemen with big hips and legs were "naturally" the best kickers. Groza was the prototype of this model. Before the 40s and 30s most kickers were backs who simply place kicked or drop kicked on the side -- or who handled the ball on most plays anyway. Before the takeover of the T formation about 1940, most teams ran the single wing and quick kicks were fairly frequent.
    When the soccer kickers came in and took over in the 1970s, flexibility and leg speed became the thing. While you still had some occasional exceptions like Janikowski of kickers who were "big boned," you didn't have many linemen types as kickers any more.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted