1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tom Dempsey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Long time holder of the FG record of 63 yards.

He contracted the virus while in a retirement home in Louisiana.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

God bless NFL Films...
    God bless Billy Kilmer for being part of this clip...
    God bless it was an absolutely amazing catch on an out on a typical Kilmer duck that set up this kick...

Fucking video shows him with kids at the end.

I don’t give a shit. Sixty-three is still the record.

RIP

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Lined up on his own 37 for the kick. Broke the old record by seven yards. What a story.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember someone on here posted a story in which Dempsey said some people have told him he was a one-hit wonder. His quote was something like, “Yeah, I did it once. What have you ever done?” Always liked that quote.

RIP

cyclingwriter2 and Vombatus like this.
  5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

One bit of trivia I liked was that he also kicked the shortest possible field goal at the time in the same game ... 8 yards.

RIP, for sure. Seems like the last few years were quite a challenge, health-wise.

cyclingwriter2 and Vombatus like this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Alex Karras, beset by age and knee injuries, was playing what turned out to be his final games that fall, and was always given to making jokes about kickers (especially "gimps" or "European soccer midgets" screaming "I keek zee touchdown!!"), later said he was "doubled over laughing" as Dempsey lined up for the kick. But photos of Dempsey making contact with the ball show Karras only a couple yards away, diving full out to block it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    misterbc and Liut like this.
  7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That photo also shows Dempsey’s foot in detail, which didn’t have any toes.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Obscure trivia: Who was the holder?

9. Starman

He was also missing fingers on one hand.
    A lot of people wanted to make him some kind of symbol for disabilities, a role he handled well for the short term, but really wasn't suited for in the long run -- he was kind of a rough tough unpolished kind of guy, not really an ideal PR spokesman.
    Also, he wasn't a great kicker, a perennial all-pro or anything like that. But he did hang around the league for quite a few seasons (not really ever kicking for contending teams).

And he had one moment that became a legend.

10. Starman

I remember in the immediate aftermath of Dempsey's kick, there was some pissing and moaning from certain grouchy old man commentators claiming his deformed foot gave him some kind of unfair advantage and his record should have an asterisk or something.

I very vaguely recall that the special shoe he wore to boot the 63-yarder did have a metal plate in the base, and I think the NFL may have quietly changed rules later requiring such plates to be made out of molded rubber or plastic instead.

But they never put any asterisk on the record.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  11. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

New Jersey’s own Joe Scarpati, a DB.

exmediahack and heyabbott like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Yes. And 25 interceptions in 96 career games.

Draft saved Draft deleted