1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Panthers tracks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by austinsportsguy, Apr 3, 2020.

1. austinsportsguy

austinsportsguy New Member

What say you guys on this hed: Panthers tracks

I think it should be Panthers track, because it's about them tracking down free agents. But it could be Panthers tracks, as in they're leaving tracks while searching for free agents.

We can all agree the hed is lacking. But then so was space.

Opinions?

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Panthers hunt

Still anthromorphically accurate, as well as grammatically correct. Also, shorter!

If you want it to be the same number of characters, perhaps Panthers chase?

3. austinsportsguy

Panthers hunt is a lot less ambiguous too, PaperDoll. I like that. Thank you.

4. austinsportsguy

HAHAHA. That's funny. Anthropomorphically accurate ... yes.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It's the name of our Panthers newsletter and it's a standing element (that drives subscriptions every week, might I add ;)). Every Monday and Friday during the NFL season, and every Friday in the offseason. Today's was about possible free agents the Panthers could sign in the last stage of free agency with their limited cap space. Confused why it's being brought up here, assuming we're talking about the same thing.

6. austinsportsguy

Wondering if "Panthers tracks" as a newspaper hed should be that or "Panthers' tracks" with an apostrophe -- at least that was the main discussion.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm forced to drink Panther piss without a craft brewery bar open in this Covid world.

8. austinsportsguy

Try Guinness in a can. You might be surprised.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It can be descriptive and not possessive, so Panthers Tracks with no apostrophe (or better yet Panther Tracks) is fine.

10. austinsportsguy

We went with "Panthers tracks." Came to the same conclusion you did. Thanks.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The headline writers should simply Keep Pounding.

Draft saved Draft deleted