1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BOOKS THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 22, 2005.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Me too, and I'm not a drummer.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Girl drummers rock.

OscarMadison and Flip Wilson like this.
  3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Memphis 68, by Stuart Cosgrove. Takes a look at the Memphis soul scene and everything else that happened in that city during this year.

It's one of those books that draws on a lot of other stuff done previously but it's a great read. I learned a lot of little interesting bits of trivia. For example, when the plane Otis Redding crashed, he was flying to play a gig in Wisconsin being opened by an early version of Cheap Trick.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The author did a trilogy of books: Detroit '67, Memphis '68 and Harlem '69.

Just added them to my Amazon list for my next shopping spree.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Reading the first. Just bought the last new.

(So I guess the key to being a working author is to write a really great book. Sounds easy.)

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Cabin At The End of The World; what a thriller

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Re-reading an old favorite of mine: a bio of Richard Daley called "American Pharaoh"

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Revisiting Christopher Moore's novels starting with "The Stupidest Angel." Sometimes silliness is what a soul needs.

9. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

If you're looking for a book where the bass player of the Red Hot Chili Peppers talks about touring the world as part of a hugely successful band, this is not it. It's about Flea's younger years. He writes about exactly one show that the core of RHCP plays in this book. It's a typical rock-n-roll memoir, with lots (LOTS!) of drugs and having trouble finding his place in the world. I would never have picked this up on my own, but it was part of a subscription from Brilliant Books my wife got me for Christmas. Still, I enjoyed it.

Joe Bob says check it out.

10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

That sounds way more interesting. Are there any books -- fiction or nonfiction -- that tackle this?

11. Flip Wilson

[​IMG]

I sat on my front porch for most of today and knocked this out. I'd seen the movie, but it was a long time ago and I'd forgotten most of the details. Some of them came back to me as I got close to the finale. This was a good way to spend a lazy Sunday. Joe Bob says check it out.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

"The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. Decided to re-read it before getting to Atwood's recent follow-up, "The Testaments."

What stood out now, almost 30 years since I first read it, was the humor. Subtle and not-so-subtle, like some of the words spelled in the Scrabble games. The humorous moments held up just as well, if not better than, the epic tale of Gilead's religious regime and its totalitarian rules.

I still haven't watched the TV series.

Draft saved Draft deleted