1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM latest to drop the axe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Apr 2, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good Lord, seriously? Wow.

2. MileHigh

Who was left to lay off?

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder longer LANG has. A document was leaked that indicated in the period ending June 30, 2017 LANG had margins that were only about eight percent, while other papers in the chain had much higher margins.

Leaked financial report shows jaw-dropping profits for ‘outlaw’ newspaper owner

LANG also is facing a competitor in the LA Times that has an owner who is much more willing to invest in the product than DFM. So LANG has less flexibility to raise subscription rates, etc. to increase short term profits. Given the revenue declines the industry has seen since 2017 and now this I wonder if LANG makes it to Christmas.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thirteen total, four in the newsroom, I believe. I've heard no reporters were lost.

6. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

It will be interesting to how many in the suburban Philly cluster take the voluntary buyout offer. The buzz is take it or be laid off next year when the current contract prohibition against layoffs expires. We'll know by Tuesday how many decided to accept. I'm predicting more than one dozen will decide to go now.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From BANG's 49ers beat writer.

8. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

I'm hearing all freelancers and paid contributers are gone at the Philly area papers as of Friday. Sports and news sides.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Is it true there were severe cuts made at DFM properties this week? I mean in the last 48 hours. Any other industry moves to conclude the week? Remember allegedly most cuts are made on Fridays.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yep.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  11. MileHigh

All Colorado papers. Haven't heard if there are furloughs at the Denver Post, but I suspect there will be.

12. MileHigh

Hearing of at least one sports layoff in Boulder. Top editors getting a 10 percent pay cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted