1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Who was the last Ivy League player selected in the first round of the NBA draft?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Armond Hill?

When the draft used to be 7 rounds, I remember that the NYT would do a blurb about each player that the Knicks drafted. In the mid-80s, they drafted Ken Bantum from Cornell with their last pick and the description for him said “will be able to tell his kids some day that he was drafted by the Knicks”

Batman likes this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good Gracious, Bob Hamelin. Now there's a name from the past.
    The Hammer supposedly had all the tools. They had him earmarked to be the next Babe Ruth. Didn't amount to a Baby Ruth.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Really? I’m not denying that was said often, but a quick look at his minor league stat lines...he spent four years at AAA and had no speed and was essentially a Dh.

5. micropolitan guy

Yes, Armond Hill, of Princeton. By Atlanta in 1976.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Ed Marinaro was the highest finishing Ivy Leaguer for the Heisman, 2nd to Pat Sullivan in 1971.

One of my former editors played Ivy League football against Marinaro. I asked how he fared. "Well," he said, "I at least showed up in the game film on one of this kick returns for a TD."

7. micropolitan guy

Dick Kazmaier of Princeton won the Heisman in 1951.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This Hall of Famer pitched 12 seasons in the majors. However, in three of those 12 seasons, he only pitched in one game. Who was he?

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth?

10. Baron Scicluna

Nope. Babe played for 22 seasons. He had six seasons when he was a pitcher. One other season, he pitched twice and three other times, he pitched once.

For the guy I’m asking about, I think it’s rather unique, in that a player has to have 10 seasons to qualify for the Hall unless an exception is made, and this guy pitched nine seasons and was lucky enough to have three more years when he was just in one game. A few different decisions made by a manager and the guy ends up with a nine-year career instead of a 12-year career.

11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Addie Joss?

edit: it’s not

12. Baron Scicluna

Joss pitched nine seasons and was scheduled to pitch Opening Day for his 10th season when he got sick and died. It took many years, but the Hall made an exception for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted