1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM latest to drop the axe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Saw this posted to Twitter @dfmworkers
    The Chico Enterprise-Record just furloughed (but essentially laid off) their sports desk, including one reporter who was awarded a CNPA first-place prize 15 minutes before learning of his fate.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

So is that an indefinite furlough, with the opportunity to come back down the road if/when things return to normal?

3. WillCDenner

WillCDenner New Member

I'm the reporter referenced above in the tweet from @DFMWorkers. Myself and one other reporter, who split time between the sports desk and NorCal design hub located in our building, were both furloughed for 4-6 weeks. However, that length of time is entirely dependent on not only the shelter-in-place order, but also what kind of shape the business is in. So I'm skeptical as to when, or even if, a job is waiting on the other end of this thing.

In the meantime, I'd like to do whatever possible to keep writing and reporting. If anyone has any work available, please let me know. I can be reached at wcd313 at gmail dot com, or on Twitter @WillCDenner. To get a better idea of my focus and experience, feel free to check out my work samples at williamdenner.com.

Thank you for bringing attention to our situation.

4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

I’m hearing the Philly cluster got hit hard - again.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That sucks, Will. Hope you can find something better ... and in the meantime, get unemployment benefits if possible.

Unfortunately, we've had layoffs at our shop, too.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Looks like bunch of sackings at Boston Herald as well

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

At least one I know of, Marisa Ingemi, who was the Bruins/women's hockey (and soon to be doing WNBA), was outright canned ... not laid off ...

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

There's been layoffs at Entercom (sp) Radio as well. Two in sports at KCBS, Bruce Macgowan and Joe Salvatore.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Boston Herald laid off its sports editor, who's one of the best in the business.

Denver Post had four layoffs in the newsroom today.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

John Devine, the lone sports guy at the Monterey Herald, off the payroll.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

One sports writer in the L.A. group posted on Facebook tonight that all of the sports writers are being forced to take two one-week furloughs this month. He is taking off next week, working a week, then furloughing a second week. He said as bad as that is, none of the sports writers among the 11 papers were laid off. Others in the papers were laid off. He did not elaborate.

Draft saved Draft deleted