1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Here's something else to think about in terms of college sports, especially from mid-major on down.
    I know for a fact some universities are already talking about making fall classes online only, no students on campus.
    If there are no students on campus, that means no athletes on campus. No athletes on campus means no games played.
    As for DII, NAIA, etc., more than half of the student population is athletes. If they can't play, they won't be in school.
    The death spiral tightens.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I hope so; the money involved at every level of sports is asinine.

Liut likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Sports will be fine.

What seats cost and what players make? That will adjust.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd be OK if when sports returns if D1 sports aren't multi-billion dollar business enterprises.

Liut and TigerVols like this.
  5. Driftwood

I'd like it if kids aspired to attend their Big State U instead piling on the tv bandwagon.
    I'd like it if European soccer teams were made up of players from their country.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't know how many athletes are necessarily on campus anyway.

Joe Burrow was asked why he ran over and saluted the student section and he said he wanted to feel some connection to them because he's never sat in a class at LSU.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not like there's going to be a bunch of openings on the Packers waiting list or the front row at Staples Center. But the bottom feeders will struggle. Stadium experiences have been getting better but that's gonna have to pick up tenfold.

As much as I'm tired of my couch now, it's still my favorite place to be on a football weekend.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

They’ve definitely gotten more expensive.

9. Driftwood

That's why I specifically references DII and NAIA.
    I wasn't talking about SEC football or ACC basketball players.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Old Dominion whacked its highly successful wrestling program yesterday. They were going to do it even if there had been no virus, but this is important.
    When instituting cuts from this, schools are going to look to whack non revenue sports. It’s something they’ve all wanted to do for years anyway.
    Lacrosse, which I love and which has been growing — to my amazement— is next on the block after wrestling. For public schools especially, it is expensive because it so often means out of state scholarship money. Many schools have started programs in the past decade, which means they don’t have powerful alumni who can raise hell or money.
    Swimming may also be vulnerable.

I am not saying these would be financially wise cuts. ODU says it will save $1 million from executing wrestling. But for many schools, fewer sports equals fewer headaches. Non revenue sports are far more likely to deliver bad national news than good. Witness the admissions scandal this time last year.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Burrow was a unique case, since he was a grad student who by his own admission went to LSU to study football.
    I do wonder how often basketball and baseball players who have midweek games are in an actual class, though. For the ones who aren't planning to be one and done and actually give a shit, do they do a lot of their coursework online?

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Tutors

I use that term loosely.

Draft saved Draft deleted