1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Sorry to those of you whom my obsession caused early and unnecessary alarm.
    We are 2+ months from the official start of hurricane season and 6 months away from any likely major storms.

@Neutral Corner I will whip out my black Sharpie and draw the projected path away from your area!

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Cool. That always works!

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I miss the days when hurricanes were my biggest worry as a Floridian.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

I look at this and the Antarctic glacier melts and I think significant climate change is happening a damn sight faster than expected.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

I've already been through two Cat 4+ storms here and they are a fucking walk in the park compared to this. At least DeSantis can handle a hurricane recovery without Trump's hand up his ass.

That being said, the Tampa Bay area has been flirting with disaster for a while. Irma was supposed to be one that separated the rubber from the road but he kind of exploded once it hit land and didn't hold together.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

? ? ?

Shelter at home with power > hurricane recovery without power

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That looks like worse news for the Bayou State if the storm takes just the right trajectory.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

:rolleyes:

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Ouch.

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) – The Atlantic basin could see up to 22 named storms this upcoming hurricane season, according to researchers at North Carolina State University.
    According to Lian Xie, professor of marine, earth and atmospheric sciences at N.C. State, this hurricane season will see 18 to 22 named storms, which is above both long- and short-term averages.
    According to researchers, the long-term (1951 to 2019) average of named storms is 11, and the short-term (1995 to 2019) average is 14.
    Of this season’s named storms, eight to 11 may grow strong enough to become hurricanes (the historical average is six), with the possibility of three to five storms becoming major hurricanes, according to N.C. State researchers.

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted