1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hmm. Just flicked open the IHG app and booked that entire week at the Holiday Inn Express downtown at normal rates. But I hope the speculation proves correct!

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was able to book a suite at normal rates as well, but the Quality Inn where I had been planning to stay was already sold out, and the map I looked at with hotels had tons that were sold out or starting at $600+ per night. If it ends up being another week, I'll rebook, but for now, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we got a suite at $195/night.

[​IMG]

playthrough likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Apparently the news that the 2020 Ryder Cup has been postponed is wrong. Until it's true.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not the PGA Tour, but the USGA canceled (not postponed) it's men's and women's Four-Ball championships, scheduled for late April and late May, respectively. Local qualifying for the U.S. Open is wiped. U.S. Opens still on for now, but ...

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

6. playthrough

The Tour can certainly ride this out financially but the members (players) aren't making squat as long as this goes on, so that's a good move and a good look.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Open Championship down the drain ...
    Report: R&A To Cancel The 2020 Open Championship — Geoff Shackelford
    Here's the golf affected so far (of course at this point, does anyone believe any of these events will be played?)
    Players: Canceled.
    Masters: Postponed to fall.
    PGA: Postponed to late summer (filling Olympic slot)
    U.S, Open: Postponed to fall.
    PGA Tour schedule: Not counting the majors and Players, eight other events canceled. Plan to resume in Fort Worth in late May looking dim.
    British Amateur: Postponed to late summer.
    Also, the Tour has put off implementation of its more stringent pace of play policy until next year. So if golf ever does return, Bryson DeChambeau is free to dawdle to his heart's contet.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Only one I see happening is the Masters in mid-October. U.S. Open outside of New York? Nope. Same with the PGA in San Francisco.

The next hammer to drop will be the Ryder Cup.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is possible that because they were first in, NYC and San Francisco will be first out of the virus crisis. It is very optimistic to envision tournaments in the fall, but not ridiculous.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

True. And it just might be those three.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Crap.

Now we're going to have to wait even longer for Scott Piercy to win his first major.

Chef2 and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  12. playthrough

So this entire ordeal is a Tour-orchestrated scheme to not have to tell the pros to speed up. Evil!

Draft saved Draft deleted