1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee joins the cutback club

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Mar 31, 2020.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Actually, there's a fourth reason:

The newspaper's owner also owns a hotel/restaurant/marina, and those ads are about all of the ones that run in his paper.

(cough!)Hagadone(cough!)

2muchcoffeeman, stix and FileNotFound like this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wait, what corona stories? Fredrick already passionately argued that coronavirus stories cannot be written because people might tell you "no comment."

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Ha. Taken out of context ... Fredrick said it's a waste of time to have talented sports writers chasing down "no comments." LOL

4. PCLoadLetter

OK, so keeping it in the proper context, you agree that there are important coronavirus stories to be done, but sportswriters lack the ability to do them?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Hell no. I'm saying sportswriters will write you the best corona stories of anybody in the news room because they are used to writing compelling stories but yet in a tone everybody can understand unlike news writer scholarly language nobody can relate to.
    I'm offended suits have moved over some sports talent to perform busywork like chasing down no comments from officials who reveal the stats at news conferences when they are good and ready. Sports writers are the best because they've been beaten down so much they can handle ANY assignment!

6. PCLoadLetter

OK, two things.

A) Whoever is writing these dropped character for this one.

B) You have absolutely no idea how reporting works. None. The notion that reporting on coronavirus issues is busywork and "chasing down no comments" and waiting for officials at news conferences... In the 1% chance that you are an actual person, you are absolutely stealing money from your bosses even with your 90 hour work weeks.

garrow, SFIND, Screwball and 5 others like this.
  7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I have a pretty short ignore list, but it just grew by one.

Your act has worn tissue paper thin. It is unoriginal, unfunny, unproductive, and woefully ignorant of the modern newsroom.

Valuable threads are routinely derailed by your meandering nonsense, so I'm done. Maybe the suits can explain that to you, too.

SFIND, Screwball, Old Crank and 2 others like this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fredrick is starting to remind me of someone.

40 Reasons Why Boots is Everything Wrong With This Message Board.

1) You're a pathological liar.

2) You're a passive-aggressive boor.

3) You claim firsthand knowledge across a range of sports journalism issues, and yet seem to know almost nothing about either field.

4) You contradict yourself. Constantly. Often within the same post.

5) You're foul-mouthed, and make a point of posting your obscenities in all CAPS.

6) You're a braggart and a blowhard.

7) Your "opinions" are nothing but mealy generalities.

8 ) You make every thread you post on about yourself.

9) You have a terrible persecution complex. This may be because you have a terrible personality in real life, and are persecuted for it. I don't know.

10) You have no demonstrable sense of humor.

11) You are as slow as molasses and as dense as mahogany. At all times.

12) On current events topics, you are utterly obtuse. On sports topics, only slightly less so.

13) You blame others for your own failures and inadequacies.

14) You torture us with your ponderous, monochromatic writing.

15) You often write in the third person, like the Tsar. And yet you are not the Tsar.

16) You claim to have been everywhere, met everyone and done everything. Which would be insufferable even if it were true.

17) You have been directly responsible for the locking of more threads than the inventor of the mechanical loom; than anyone anywhere in the history of the world, in fact. I exaggerate only a little, for effect.

18) You willfully insult other posters, but cannot take the same in return.

19) Which means you're a bully and a coward.

20) You bring nothing to any discussion on any topic. Neither wit, nor color, nor thought, nor invention.

21) You repeat yourself. Endlessly. Especially the phrases "jackass," stirring up shit," and "stay on topic."

22) According to trustworthy folks, you post under more than one handle, just to jack people up. This is juvenile at best. Mendacious at worst.

23) You seem oblivious to the fact that your reputation on the board is broadly horrible. You have succeeded in alienating more members here than virtually anyone else. At least JDV is vivid performance art of a kind.

24) You spend more time backpedaling than a Russian circus bear on a unicycle.

25) You've started more threads with less content than the rest of us combined.

26) You endlessly d_b topics because you post on this board without actually reading it.

27) In fact, you seem never to have actually read anything. How does an American adult of even poor education not know Darwin and his theories on evolution? Even to oppose them?

28) Even Jones - one of the friendliest, most easygoing men I know - can't abide you.

29) You routinely try to ingratiate yourself with us by inflating your own experiences - then rush to randomly condemn newspapers and magazines and the people who make them, as if you had some Olympian insight into that process.

30) You never admit when you're wrong. Which is often indeed.

31) That when guests visit the site, they might take your drivel as being representative of the other minds at work here.

32) That for all the places you claim to have visited - stadiums, locker rooms, press boxes, airports, bars - you seem to have only the most generic knowledge of how things look or sound or feel in those places. Perhaps it's only your poor powers of description that lead me to feel this way.

33) By your own admission, you're the "ultimate ass." Who but a sophomoric, self-loathing idiot would be proud of such a thing?

34) The fictional HR thread.

35) The fictional backdoor lovin' thread.

36) The fictional body odor thread.

37) Your PM fetish.

38) Your recurrent posting of the phrase "WHITE POWER!!!!" in ALL-CAPS.

39) Your inane, unfunny non sequiturs.

40) And finally, what does every locked thread on which you've posted have in common? You.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fuggin suits

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The referring to himself in the third person really grinds my gears, for some reason, especially when combined with undeserved self-flagellation.

"You all know that old Fredrick was right again!" and that type of stuff.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You can tell A is true, because Fredrick didn't refer to himself in the third person.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

He won't be able to read this until he gets out of the 10 o'clock meeting. Or is it the 11 o'clock meeting. Seems to change frequently.

Draft saved Draft deleted