1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose, running Geek thread (formerly Battlestar Galactica thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 31, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not paying for DC All-Access, but the clips I've seen from the animated Harley Quinn are fun.

2. outofplace

Severian and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

SyFy (stupid name) just put all of BSG except the “Blood And Chrome” movie online for everyone. It’s also showing up on SyFy’s Roku app, so I assume it’s also on the other streaming device apps.

If you like that sort of thing.

4. outofplace

Blood and Chrome wasn't that great, anyway, but thank you for the heads up. I may have to watch again. It was free on Amazon Prime for a while, but now you have to pay so I had no way to watch it.

The series is uneven, but the highlights are great. The mini-series is one. The first episode of the regular series, "33" is excellent. The two-part "Exodus" and most of the final episode are favorites. The ending draws a lot of criticism and I actually agree that the last few minutes are annoying, but I forgive it because the rest of the episode is so damn good. So say we all, you frakkers.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  5. outofplace

Even Emperor Palpatine wants everybody to stay home. (This video will make no sense if you haven't watched How It Should Have Ended and its spin-off, Villains Pub, on YouTube.)

6. outofplace

I've spent way too much time on YouTube lately, for obvious reasons. I found this clip from the animated Son of Batman movie. In the scene, Ra's al Ghul's daughter, Talia, acknowledges drugging Batman so he would have sex with her. The point of the story is to explain how Batman would have a son with this woman, but that isn't the part that stands out to me. We basically have a superhero being raped in an animated comic book movie. Yup, Batman was raped.

Apparently, the story in the comics has changed multiple times. If I understand all the retcons, first it was consensual. Then it was changed to her drugging and raping him. Then it was changed back. WTF?

I am always surprised when comics actually deal with rape, especially the times it is grounded. A big part of DC's Identity Crisis miniseries deals with the rape of Sue Dibny, wife of the Elongated Man, how members of the Justice League dealt with the rapist and the cover-up of what they did to him. To be more specific, after they stopped and beat down Dr. Light upon catching him raping Dibny, he threatened to come after her again or more of their loved ones. They decided not only to take his memories of their identities, but also to adjust his mind, which turned him into an idiot.

Marel has gone some weird directions. Captain Marvel, back when she was Ms. Marvel, was raped by an alien and impregnated. The baby turned out to be the alien in some sort of weird time travel thing. There was also Starfox, who could use his powers to manipulate women into having sex with him. At one point, She Hulk was among his victims, but that has been sort-of retconned.

I know books like The Boys are notorious for being fucked up, but so is some of the stuff the mainstream companies have published.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This is a bit of fun. I love that Patrick Stewart does not take himself too seriously.

outofplace likes this.
  8. outofplace

This is a deleted scene from The Punisher movie with Thomas Jane. Overall, the movie wasn't good. Much of the script was taken from the "Welcome Back, Frank" storyline in the comics, but took out some of the really crazy stuff and wove too much other crap into it. Also, Travolta's performance sucked. All of that said, I really liked Jane's version of the character. In some ways, it is more true to the comics than Bernthal's, which I absolutely love. Jane just did a better job of capturing the calm, calculating side of the character, as he did in this scene. They really should have left it in the movie.

9. outofplace

Marvel Announces Fury Files, Coming To Disney Plus Next Week

Disney+ will stream The Fury Files next week. It sounds like a slapped together MCU fix with clips from existing series and movies, but the idea is a look at SHIELD files on Marvel heroes and villains with Nick Fury narrating. It isn't clear if it is actually Samuel L. Jackson or someone like Chi McBride, who has provided a voice for Fury in animated series.

10. outofplace

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Of course. There's always money in rebooting and developing shows/films stans will blindly flock to, no matter how bad it is, e.g. Star Wars.

12. outofplace

Adding on stories isn't the same thing as constantly rebooting. Reboots just get tiresome.

Looks like DC's animated universe is going to go the reboot route after Justice League Dark: Apokolips War. I guess that should be no surprise given how often DC has done it in the comics. That is one of the main reasons I prefer Marvel, which has its share of retcons and soft reboots, but doesn't really throw everything out the way DC has done.

Draft saved Draft deleted