1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plans for the "Hiatus"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Mar 12, 2020.

1. stix

stix Well-Known Member

While those stories are oftentimes well written and well reported (I've been doing plenty now), very few people read them. Your audience for those are families of the athletes and the athletes themselves, if they even care to read it.

The general public doesn't care one bit unless it affects them. Obviously, hard news about the coronavirus affects everyone. A standout softball player losing her senior season at a DII school affects like 7 people.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Today's San Francisco Chronicle had a centerpiece by golf writer Ron Kroichick on how students were adapting to online learning and a bottom right story by sports GA'er Rusty Kennedy and outdoors writer Tom Stienstra on closures at state parks.

3. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Update: About a month ago I came out of furlough to help write a few stories for a special section. Now I've been asked to help some on the news side with some graphics, as other staffers are adding additional work with our paper becoming a regional design hub.

Draft saved Draft deleted