1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Last week's Replacements 100 has led to the Replacements iRacing series on Tuesday nights for spotters, crew chiefs, at least one Truex, Junior, Bubba Wallace, eNASCAR competitors ... and NHRA hot shoe Ron Capps.

1stADD: Whichever Truex just wrecked Capps.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

With the Month of May postponed at Indy, the July 4 Xfinity race (day before Brickyard 400) is scheduled to be a doubleheader with IndyCar on the road course. That sounds like a pretty good day at the track -- and if it doesn't happen this year, they should do it next year.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They shouldn’t because the Cup race should be at Daytona. I’m surprised NASCAR would allow it because the IndyCar race on the roval will feature better racing.

maumann likes this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Depends on what you consider "better" racing. The riffraff of the Xfinity Series will likely be entertaining in a crumpled-mess way. The IndyCar races on the roval have been mostly clean with Power or Pagenaud pulling away to easy wins.

Can't disagree with Daytona. They should always have the Firecracker 400 and I thought it was a tough sell for IMS to race again six weeks after the 500 and on another holiday weekend. Though that's not applicable now.

maumann likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watching the indy race at Watkins Glen made me wonder. I know NASCAR teams build cars specifically for the road courses - but given that they race clockwise - do they put the fuel tank on the other side of the car for their road cars so they are "inside" toward the pit, or do they just have the fuel guy run around to the other side?

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Originally, they had the guys run around when they ran Riverside. But I believe NASCAR mandated road course cars to have right side fueling for safety reasons. The pits at Sonoma are on the outside of the turn, so the fueling is still left side, but Watkins Glen would be opposite. Somebody can correct me if that's wrong.

EDIT: I think @2muchcoffeeman is hoping to post a photo showing there's no change, even on road courses. I stand corrected.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

[​IMG]

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm currently watching the 2001 race from Hampton - I mean Atlanta.
    Holy cow. There are actual stock cars. Spread out. Passing each other. Racing. Running the advertised distance.

maumann likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Was there anyone that day who was not rooting for Harvick? That was a helluva finish.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Might be a dumb question, but are all of the car set-ups the same in iRacing? Just curious how much of a successful NASCAR team is the driver and how much is the crew, the set-up, testing and what goes on at the shop. And luck of course.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

The NASCAR- and IndyCar-sponsored events the past couple of weekends have all the cars with the same basic setups. It’s like eIROC. Says a lot about Sage Karam, who dominated Saturday’s IndyCar e-race at Watkins Glen but for whom Dreyer & Reinbold can’t find more than four races’ worth of sponsorship. That win got him a 2-minute live spot on SportsCenter (when was the last time a non-Indy winner got a live spot on SportsCenter?), so maybe his sponsorship will start to match his talent.

I kind of suspected that a more expensive iRacing rig would make a positive difference, but I may have been wrong. Timmy Hill, who won Sunday’s NASCAR race, uses a 12-year-old Logitech steering wheel attached to the desk in his home office. No joke.

[​IMG]

Compare that to previous week’s winner Denny Hamlin, who has been on iRacing for many years and whose home iRacing rig costs more than your car.

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted