1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I respect that opinion. I just believe that #NeverTrump folks and Democrats were misled about Biden's electability, which was sold primarily to stop Sanders from getting the nomination. I mean, Joe Biden is a poor candidate. Trump is also salivating about facing him. Biden wouldn't be anywhere near the position he's in if the DNC hadn't carefully orchestrated a rally behind him just prior to Super Tuesday.

The DNC didn't coalesce around Biden because it thought he was the most electable, I don't think. If the DNC thought that, I don't see why it would need to make efforts to stop Sanders. Voters in the primary would have done that for them, if Biden was truly the most electable, right?

I think the DNC just didn't want Sanders to reshape the party and turn off wealthy donors, among other things. If that meant backing Biden for the nomination, so be it.

Cosmo likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sanders picked a bad time to run an anti-establishment, let's have a revolution campaign. What was it, a month ago there were articles about who would be in a Sanders cabinet? And here's the deal - Biden is no raging liberal, but he gets things done. I think he can get parts of a Green New Deal passed, I think he can expand health care coverage with a public option (at this point I'm pretty sure the GOP is ready to turn the page) and I think he will be able to pass targeted debt forgiveness for college students who go into teaching and other public service fields. Bernie is great at knocking loudly, but I think Biden is better at getting his foot in the door.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

America is less progressive and more conservative than people want to believe. The most progressive faction is under 30, the same segment of the population that has the worst voter turnout of any other age group.

So as much as progressives blame the DNC, they really need to look at their fellow voters. The DNC didn't coalesce around Biden. The voters got bored. No one else swayed them after a year of campaigning. Harris, Warren, Buttigieg, O'Rourke, Klobuchar - all had their moment as the insurgent candidate or even a potential front-runner. None stuck. So when it came down to the two known quantities, voters flocked to what they're comfortable with - Biden.

Maybe the country could get behind Sanders' ideas if they were presented differently. But as much as you and I like college loan forgiveness, much of the country does not (I bet it'd be voted down even on this message board, which has few staunch conservatives).

Couching his ideas as a revolution energizes some and turns off others. The behavior of some of his surrogates and online supporters is another wedge.

And as much as I'd like to see taxes raised on the uber wealthy, some Americans hesitate because they believe one day they'll be rich themselves.

So at some point people are going to need to accept that Bernie Sanders is a dedicated public servant who has helped shift the political discussion in this country, but that he's ultimately a bad presidential candidate.

He didn't spur a surge in youth voter turnout - any increase has been offset by older voters. And when all is said and done, he's probably going to end up with less percentage of the vote than he did in 2016, even though the field was more wide open from the start.

Tweener, maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The fact that it only seems to hsve traction among Bernie and Trump people and isn't being taken seriously anywhere else tells me all I need to know.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Don't forget, between the election and Cooper taking office, that supermajority passed legislation cutting the governor's power and giving it to themselves.
    I hope Cooper wins again this year, but I don't know. I can think of at least a couple of farms in Pender County that have had up "vote out Copper" and the date of this year's election since the last election. They hate "them liberals up in Raleigh" because they have to comply with environmental regulations.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

FatFuck needs some love

16364303-0E4A-4B58-BC4D-1E05B910A2A9.jpeg

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fuck’s and Friends

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Always good to wake up to a tongue job

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He needed a platform to rip Pelosi and Biden, along with bragging about how great he is
    Now he’s saying Cuomo is getting great reviews because of him
    He’s talking to Uncle Vlad today

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Winning.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It blows my mind that an incumbent President will campaign for re-election on the premise that the government's actions in plague which killed 200,000 Americans were a fantastic job on his part. That is exactly the party line today. As I said last night, that only makes me believe there will be a lot more deaths than that. No matter. If it's a million dead Trump will say he did a great job.

maumann likes this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.