1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your best sports memory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

'88 Dodgers.

Showtime's 5 titles.

Marinovich and The Drive at Wazzu.

There are some others but pound for pound this is the best ...

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Game 6 of 1986 World Series.

Dad had gone to bed because he had to get up early to go to work. Mom fell asleep on the couch as usual. Neither of them told me to go to bed so I stayed up. Red Sox score two runs in the top of the 10th, so I go to bed because I didn’t want to see the Mets lose.

I’m lying in bed for a few minutes and I figure, I cheered the Mets the whole year, I might as well watch the end anyways. Turn on my TV, watch the Mets make two quick outs, see the Diamondvision congratulate the Red Sox (I always felt sorry for Boston fans for that) and turn off the TV again.

Couple of minutes later, I decide to go downstairs, and the Mets are in the middle of their comeback. When Mookie’s grounder goes in between Buckner’s legs, I start yelling. My Dad comes downstairs because I woke him up, I tell him the Mets just made the greatest comeback ever, and he and Mom yell at me to go to bed because it’s late.

Next day, Dad tells me he understands why I woke him up.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a similar memory, but the goat of the story is me. The Twins are at Fenway, and the Herald sent me to write a first edition column from pregame material. I finished up about the second inning and filed. Stayed to catch a couple innings, but I was due to leave on a road trip next day, so I didn't want to stay the whole nine. Twins pull a triple play. I figure, "well, I've seen what this game has to offer" and left. Before I got past Cambridge, the Sox were up in the next inning as I listened on the radio, listened to the Twins pull ANOTHER triple play. Only time that had and still has happened in major league history. Never left early again.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That game broke my heart. About the time I got over it, the 'stros got the 1986 Mets, and that was a kick in the balls. My favorite moment, certainly my favorite that I saw in person, was in '86 when Mike Scott clinched the West by no-hitting the SF Giants. It was a businessman's special, I was working outside sales, and I, uh, called on a client at the Astrodome. Game six vs. the Mets was a bitter, bitter pill.

The Astros broke my heart again more recently.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

... but, but, but, the Compton High relay team ...

MileHigh and Songbird like this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Me covering sports? Damn straight.

And then Dave Osterman of the Register came up to me in the press box and shook my hands for some reason lol

Neutral Corner and MileHigh like this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The Winston - 1992. I was there.
    Manchester United 2, Bayern Munich 1.

Webster likes this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hagler-Hearns...as a massive Hagler fan this was both the result I wanted - Hearns had predicted he'd win in three - but a fight that lived up to and surpassed all the hype
    Jays - Braves Game 6, 1992 World Series
    Jays - Phillies Game 6, 1993 World Series
    Jays - A's, Games 4 and 6 1992 ALCS

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

That game inspired a Letterman Top 10: “Top 10 Things Less Likely Than The Twins Turning Two Triple Plays.”

One of the items was “President Tyson.” #1 was “The Mets turning one double play.”

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'd have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure I was there that day.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Soviets should have awarded FIBA boss Jughead Jones a gold medal.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Picture it: June 7, 2018 ... at a house in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Your boy is with three of his absolute best friends, all of whom had been on this ride of watching Capitals heartbreak since God knows how long. It's 3-2 Golden Knights after two periods, yet there was a strange calm in the room. Then Devante Smith-Pelly pokes home the equalizer while diving in the crease. The tension mounts. Then three or four minutes later, Lars Eller sweeps home the trash from behind an incredulous Marc-Andre Fleury. Braden Holtby wards off every shot flung his way over the next few tense moments, and with one faceoff, with less than two seconds to play, the Capitals win the Stanley Cup.

Yeah, that's it. Nothing will ever come close.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted