1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Athletic keeps growing .......

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Feb 3, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

C'mon, man. Being so aggressively stupid is not a good look.

SFIND likes this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Pay through PayPal and it’s one less place on the Internets from which hackers can steal your credit card data. If I’m making a one-time-only purchase from a website, I often use PayPal.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Doesn't PayPal have access to your bank information, then? I type in the credit card every time, and don't give PayPal the option to save the information. I also regularly clear cookies related to PayPal, my bank, and other things that I don't want hackers to be able to access.

4. Hot and Rickety

Hot and Rickety Active Member

Patrick Stevens announced on Twitter that his time with the Athletic is over. Freelance contract not renewed.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Dropping freelancers as the economy craters is some kind of look from a company that just loves to write about how unfairly minor league baseball players are treated...and has its minor league writer fucking organizing a job fair for minor leaguers. Maybe they can run a job fair for the writers they dropped?

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That's... not exactly a 1-to-1 comparison. MLB had revenues of $10.7B in 2019, according to Forbes. Single A players average between $1,100 and $2,200 a month. It seems crazy that they just don't give everyone $30k, prorated - That's $750k per minor league team, or about the cost of your back-up position player. Pretty much every newspaper and news organization is struggling right now - Does that mean they shouldn't do any stories about other failing industries?

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

the furlow/cutting expenses commentary has seemed tone deaf at times. Specific to coronavirus not minor league baseball. It just would feel wrong to me to go on twitter and yell at a sports owner for furlowing arena staff when my place may be cutting hours/stringers. My problem, my shame.

is it a billionaire thing? Is a conglomerate with a ceo more OK to cut than say a WaPo or Boston Globe because of Bezos or John Henry? Thats how we’re treating the Bruins, Sabres 76ers owners, youre billionaires so you pay.

should say also we have no idea if athletic departure is a corona cut, a revenue cut or simply timing on an expiring deal. Im using as a jump point for larger discussion

8. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

They should write another oral history about the quality of the hot dogs at the Montreal Forum

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Hurricanes writer’s Twitter is remaining...interesting .

10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed this. Let’s start with their fixing their paid social campaigns. Absolutely BRUTAL.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Is that the girl some people here are obssesed with?

12. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted