1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

One thing that has really struck home with me is how much suburban life for a retired old fart under stay at home orders resembles the life I had before. Of course, my immediate comparison is winter in New England, where going out of the house is often unappealing, but except for not going to restaurants and the quiet sense of foreboding when I do have to go out for food or medicine, it's not that different. But ask me again in May, when it's nice outside.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Got a good tip from my brother yesterday. Gatorade/sports drinks are on the pantry list in case someone gets sick, so they can push fluids with electrolytes. If you can find them, get the packets of dry gatorade mix that you add to water. Light, small, takes up less room, keeps a long time.

Edit ~ A container of powder that makes six gallons is eight or nine bucks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    TigerVols likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A farmer's market in the center of the city that we go to when we are here, set up a system for today where you ordered from the vendors online and paid. ... and then were to pick up between certain times today, based on your last name. The farm with the good stuff we like wasn't doing it, so we had settle for a guy we don't like as much. But fine.

I placed my order last night. ... showed up at the designated time. And he's not there. 25 people standing around, blocking the sidewalk, creating a cluster. F'in stupid.

He finally shows up, and people line up, trying to space, and he's running around like a chicken without a head trying to find orders in the back of his truck. Meanwhile, all the other vendors had gotten there early, and if not for this guy, things would have been running just as they had tried to design it.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I guess? I'd rather play the courses that have the cup liners sticking out of the hole -- hit the liner and your ball is holed. No evil lip-outs!

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That's so what she said.

ChrisLong and playthrough like this.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Former colleague of mine, some here may know him --- Dave Kelly --- died suddenly after a heart attack a couple of days ago. Wife was not allowed in the ambulance . . . because of COVID-19 worries.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm in your boat. It's about 75% the same, but I sure miss that other 25% (the gym, Microville Tech sports, interaction with friends, etc). If this keeps up through summer, tho, my life will change dramatically because I won't have my seasonal work that funds a lot of fun stuff/augments savings.

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I've got tickets to see Escape to Margaritaville in May. I'm not feeling reel good about it happening.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Why are grocery stores, or any store, still accepting cash transactions?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Got to. Many people, mostly poor ones who're the ones out working right now, do not have access to contactless payments.

Inky_Wretch and Webster like this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Jimmy Buffett is doing a virtual tour, replaying old shows on YouTube. I guess that’s one good thing to come out of coronavirus.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He started that over the winter pretty much for the hell of it. Of course, now the actual spring tour is off until at least early June and so I guess Jimmy figured “Why the hell not keep going?”

This “leg” of the “tour” — it started and finishes with the 2015 Key West show where the fans voted on the set list — he’s even come up with a tour T-shirt. Next Wednesday’s replay (not going Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, apparently) is the 2014 show from the Coyote Drive-In in Fort Worth, Texas, that was shown at other drive-in theaters around the country. The April 15 replay is the Australia show where Jimmy wasn’t paying attention to where the stage ended.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted