1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Curly Neal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 26, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They also appeared in the ep when Coolidge was thinking of skipping college.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I stayed at Moxy in December. It used to be a PS. On the main social floor adjacent to the bar area they have a hoops court in what looks like the old school gym. A few Globetrotters came to give a clinic. They got dressed and ready in the workout room.

[​IMG]

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

“Between 1963 and 1985 – before the internet and cable television really existed – it was Curly Neal and the Harlem Globetrotters who first introduced the sport of basketball to millions of people around the world for the first time,” the Globetrotters tweeted. “It was Curly’s magical ball-handling, shooting, charismatic smile and iconic bald head, in more than 6,000 games in 97 countries, that made them start to play and fall in love with the game.”

Fred 'Curly' Neal, Harlem Globetrotters Legend, Dead at 77

[​IMG]

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think they stopped that because, at least at first, fans were bringing their kids and expecting water bucket tricks and instead, they were getting serious games. The Trotters started doing that because they were having financial troubles back then.

5. NNDman

NNDman Active Member

Didn't Wide World of Sports do a Trotters game that was played in a prison gym with the prisoners filling the bleachers? It's all coming back to me now. IIRC, the Trotters pulled one of their stunts on a popular prison guard!!

Liut likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Yes, they went to Attica, after the riot.

Liut likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For several years in the late 90s/early 00s, they made it very clear when they were playing serious games. I think they about broke even against Top-25 level college teams.

8. Baron Scicluna

A I recall, at first, they were announcing they were playing serious games, but fans weren’t really paying attention to the announcements and coming away disappointed. Then the Trotters really emphasized the announcement and, as they played more serious games, fans got used to it.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It’s impossible to explain that most Americans would have rather watched these guys than any NBA teams for about two decades.

10. Baron Scicluna

Heck, MSG used to host doubleheaders and the Trotters were the main event over the Knicks.

Which, at the rate the Dolanbockers are going, would probably ring true today.

11. nickp

nickp Active Member

Curly Neal was an all timer in an era when playing for the Globetrotters paid more than the NBA

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

They still come to Honda Center in Anaheim. They were here in early February. They do a twinbill on a Saturday, like 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. My usher friend said it is surprisingly pretty well attended.

Draft saved Draft deleted