1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB season delayed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

When pitchers lose it, they lose it quickly. Verlander may look good now, but one year down the road could be another story (and let's not forget, this year is all but guaranteed he is not winning 15 games this year).

Given pitching restrictions because of analytics and even talk of going to a 6-man rotation means 300 will be an impossible ask, much like Cy Young's career wins record. Likewise the games played record might be impossible thanks to "optimal lineups."

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Verlander does strike me as the guy who would pitch until he couldn't to try and get to 300 to be "the last man to win 300 games" He's won everything you can won, it would be the last thing to chase.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

One of my everlasting joys of baseball is watching a comeback unfold as one manager does everything he can to stem the tide, only to make things worse. Like Buck Showalter not trusting his own eyes and bringing in a young Mariano too late in Game 5 against Seattle. (A game that in itself help start the gears turning toward the next Yankees dynasty. One could also reasonably argue that without the 1994 strike the Yankess may well have won it all, and then where would we be?)

It's like an inexorable march that all but convinces you of No Fate But What We Make.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I bet Verlander doesn’t win 15 games this year.

5. Spartan Squad

Forget 15 wins, he may not get 15 starts

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

MLB and the players’ association have agreed to a deal on how they’ll deal with the stoppage. Among the details: arbitration standards will be tweaked so lower 2020 stats can’t be used to hurt players, and in a worst-case, no-season scenario, current players will still get full service time credit. ESPN is reporting that players have already approved the deal and that owners are expected to vote on it Friday.

Sources: MLB, MLBPA agree to deal on stoppage

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course, the entire format under which the season may be resumed is still completely up in the air, and when things are resumed, will have to be separately approved by the MLBPA.

8. Spartan Squad

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm really surprsied there wasn't a bigger fight over the whole -- if there isn't a season, you still get to become a free agent. I'm probably in the minority but I don't think it should count as a year for anybody, whether you have eight years left on a deal or you have one.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Or Showalter looking lovingly at Zach Britton in the wild-card game against Toronto rather than, you know, actually fucking using him when the Orioles needed him.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, and the Betts situation is a perfect example of why. That really screws the Dodgers in a way that is completely unfair.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It does, but they're really the only ones who are affected this drastically, right? And, realistically, are any of the prospects they gave up game changers?

On the flip side, if you don't give the players the service time, they're ALL affected and, more importantly, pissed that they get screwed out of year of service from what is a finite career.

I think pissing off the Dodgers is worth the price to keep the entire MLBPA happy.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted