1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

You mean FBS. I think all of the others have at least an FCS program.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

But, hey, Easter is less than 2 1/2 weeks away.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The idea that some substantial number of Americans still don't take this seriously - mostly because of what's being said the president or by their governors or congress people - is heartbreaking to me.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The relevancy and efficacy of a working-class "stimulus" package will come into very sharp focus once they announce the new national unemployment numbers.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Did anyone need yet another reason to hate Communist Kickball?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Russians getting a week's pay, suspension of mortgage payments, a boost in the bonus families with kids get and told to stay the fuck home. Businesses getting what they call a "holiday" credit. April constitutional referendum postponed. Will May 9 Victory Day be next?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3.3 million new claims

add to that the number of 'gig economy' workers who aren't eligible for unemployment

jesus

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

At least one Trump state governor has a bit of a clue. Never actually thought I'd say that.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) — Tennessee Governor Bill Lee late Wednesday said he would use of law enforcement to make some people comply with his executive orders trying to lessen the impact of COVID-19.
    During his daily briefing on the virus, he said “if guidance or specific executive orders are ignored then we will use that enforcement as appropriate. We want people to know you are defying guidance here and it’s actually very serious.”

10. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

My sister-in-law is a real estate agent in Chile, which hasn't been hit very hard yet. She says the only business she's had lately is short-term apartment rentals to medical people who want a place to stay when things get bad so they don't go home & expose their families.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Believe it or not, the whisper numbers were a lot higher than that. So it was taken as somewhat good news.

Just to consider. ... A lot of people who have never been out of work before probably didn't know how to apply for unemployment. So a good guess is that the number is even higher than what we got.

In any other time and place, this would be beyond stunning. We have never seen anything like it. That said, you also can't compare it to past times, because a ton of those jobs that were being recorded since 2009 were the kinds of jobs that are easily laid off now. I had posted before that we were creating a nation of uber drivers and bartenders and waiters to replace more full-time, higher paying, more stable jobs from 20 years ago, and politicians were patting themselves on the back for it. Unfortunately, those kinds of face-to-face "service industry" jobs are what have gone away while we are in lock down.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Also, these numbers are for the week ending last Saturday. There have been more stay home orders since then around the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted