1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NFL Off-season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 30, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Raiders move to Las Vegas sure has generated a lot of interest from FAs. Were we SUPPOSED to get excited about Mariotta?

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Travis Frederick announces shock retirement. Guess we know what Cowboys are drafting at 17.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not really a shock considering he missed the previous entire season with a disease he is still dealing with. Hell, I was surprised he managed to make it back at all.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Based on their new logo, Rams changing their name to LA Can Openers.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Whicker tweeted that his favorite Rams logo was when they were in St. Louis.

ramslogo.jpeg

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure how great this QB class will be in the long term. I think there are maybe three viable (not necessarily great) NFL starters (depending on Tua's health) and the rest are fringe or spot starters. I realize a lot of the potential market for Cam Newton has evaporated. Nobody is paying $20m a year or more for a back-up when they could get the same production from a cheaper first round pick.
    Oddly enough, this year's class reminds me a lot of the draft class Newton front-lined in 2012.

1. Newton 8. Jake Locker 10. Blaine Gabbert 12. Christian Ponder. It also included Kaepernick and Andy Dalton in the second round. And Tyrod Taylor in the sixth.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I’m telling you right now, Hurts is a stud.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Newton and Winston haven't found landing spots yet - Of those two, I'd rather gamble on Newton being healthy for a year or two, instead of trying to fix Winston's accuracy and turnover issues. But as you mention, the landing spots for Newton are becoming less apparent. This site has a decent layout for the QB depth charts currently - I think he'd be an upgrade on the current situation for the Pats, Bengals, Raiders, maybe the Bears and Broncos. And I assume a couple of those teams are going to draft QBs. He's had so many injuries that it would be crazy to me if someone gave him a bunch of money and years, but hey, someone in the league thought David Johnson had a ton of value still, so the old adage of "it just takes one" still applies.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jacksonville, but they have no money to spend.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of talk about Hurts to the Steelers in the second round, mostly among fans. I'm just not sold. I love his approach and athleticism, but I just haven't seen the consistent accuracy I'd want to see from an NFL quarterback.

I freely admit that I'm not a big college football guy, so perhaps my impression of him is wrong.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Has Cam Newton redefined the shelf life of the redefined position of SuperQB? 8 good years (3 winning years)?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

50o late uncalled hits go into the equation.

Draft saved Draft deleted