1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Bari, forgive me for being blunt, but ... you can't go. And your grandpa would understand, OK?

Talk to him by phone or Skype right now if you can. He'll love that too, and he'll understand.

This is a time of global crisis. Gotta protect yourself first, which then protects others, too.
    Do what you can for your family from afar. But nobody can hop a plane right now, and that's hard, but it's right.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Interesting to note that of the 11 states, seven don't have a D1 football school.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Also 7 of the 9 smallest by population and all are in the bottom 15 in population

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bari, I certainly understand why you are torn on this, but I'm 100% with Slacker on this. You can't give up everything you'd be giving up for this.

Sorry you're dealing with that. That's miserable.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Picked up dinner at a drive-thru tonight. I hand the woman at the window my debit card and she hands me a machine to punch in my PIN. She then hands me a little clipboard to sign the receipt, so I’ve now touched two things other customers have touched that were probably not disinfected between uses.

I drove home with just my wrists touching the steering wheel and, of course, every spot on my face itched since I couldn’t touch it.

I scrubbed my hands profusely when I got home.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear all this.

You can't go. Your grandfather wouldn't want that for you.

Skype or Zoom or Face Time in.

TrooperBari, OscarMadison and Beachey like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Gloves, gloves, gloves.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ump-coronavirus-economic-stimulus-2-trillion/

I guess the good news in last night's senate stimulus package is the enriched unemployment benefit for the millions of people losing their jobs.

Not so good is the corporate crutch for companies undone by their own mismanagement.

Rather see that money going to working class families. Now, rather than three months from now. Especially without some sort of moratorium on rents.

Meanwhile, in Canada:

Ottawa to send $2,000 per month to COVID-19-affected Canadians. But will the system be able to keep up?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I personally think the idea that these overly indebted governments (although somehow over the last few years, Canada has actually been relatively restrained compared to the US) are going to be able to bail out everything, is a fantasy. It's going to do way more harm than the benefit everyone is assuming -- and relatively quickly at this point because of where they are starting from after running up huge amounts of debt in "non emergency" times, and how much of it has already been monetized. Nobody is considering how much more expensive the cost of living is likely to get with all of the debt they are trying to monetize by just expanding the money supplies and thinking you can bail out the world that way. It's a formula for Weimar Republic type of stuff.

But putting that aside. ... that Canadian emergency benefit works out pretty similarly to what is in the U.S. spending boondoggle. First, they are taxing it as income. $200 off the top. Second, those are Canadian dollars, not USD. After the taxes, it works out to less than $1,300 USD per month for 4 months. It's more than what Canada's unemployment check came out to with their benefit that already existed. But what it really did was extend it to a boatload of people, set it up for 4 months, and it streamlined the process for applying. Unless I am completely misunderstanding what they are doing, and this is in ADDITION to a regular unemployment check. I don't think so, though.

The U.S. bill -- if it passes -- increases unemployment payments to $600 per week through July, which is close to $3,400 CAD per month if you want to look at it as apples to apples. This is was what the grandstanding was about yesterday with some of the numbnuts Senators waking up to the fact that there will be workers who will be given more than they were actually earning working. The bill also extends the unemployment benefit to self-employed people and people who had already exhausted what they could collect.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Worth considering in these calculations that Canada has universal health care?

Our one-time $1200 amounts to a month's pay at the federal minimum wage. As BTE points out, for a family of four it's a one-time payment of $3400.

The value of that, especially among those laid off, will depend entirely upon how long the emergency lasts.

The enhanced unemployment benefits will help, but how much and for how long we don't know.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted