1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

No surprise, they can't even be bothered to update the totals on the weekends

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

They aren't going to be able to hide the numbers now and one of the current issues is reporting is just behind, so the current number of deaths are lagging too. But you have to think that there are a good number of deaths in February at least and maybe even before that were labeled as pneumonia or respiratory issues that were likely from this. Who knows if they have pathology from then, but at some point you'll probably see at least estimates of more deaths from before this outbreak happened. I've seen a lot of people say the number of cases are higher because of lack of testing so the death rate will be lower, but I think just as the cases are higher so are the deaths. It's actually something I've thought for a bit and wondered why more people weren't bringing it up. I've seen several of these type tweets and reports today so it's starting to be a little more of a thought.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I need to vent somewhere my real name isn't attached. Mods, feel free to delete if this is too OT.

Singapore, where I'm in grad school, is going back into lockdown because of a spike in COVID-19 cases (likely Singaporeans returning from abroad). Only citizens and long-term pass holders are allowed in, can't even transit at Changi, no gatherings larger than 10 people, etc. Our school has moved all classes online after flirting with it for weeks. Plus, it's threatening academic and financial penalties for students who don't report their body temperature twice a day, weekends and holidays included. A big ball of stress on top of the usual grad school workload.

Yesterday my family got in touch to tell me grandpa has esophageal cancer. The doctor, rather unhelpfully, said the tumor "is further along than not". Turns out grandpa has three weeks to live, tops. Says he doesn't want any heroic measures to extend his life and now there's a family APB to come home for a "celebratory, holiday-style gathering". Not that there's a good time for something like this, but it's hard to see how the timing could be worse.

This is all so fucked. If I leave Singapore -- where I have housing and health insurance, if nothing else -- I won't be able to return. Going back to Nebraska would mean I have no job, insurance, or means of transportation and I'd be a burden when my family can least afford one. I'd also be stuck there for the foreseeable future; I have a job offer in a country that has the outbreak comparatively under control, but the work visa I need has been in limbo for months while the office processing it has been told to work from home.

I'm pretty much on my own since the school has been of little help and the US Embassy's response can be summed up as "please hold". I want to be there for my family (if not grandpa), but going back feels like it'd be blowing up what sliver of hope and certainty I have in my life. I hate every bit of this.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

... and who will continue to hang out in public in their own Trumpist state just to own the libruhls.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

TrooperBari-
    That is a tough call to make. A shit deal all around.

TrooperBari likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

… until they’re in ICU on a vent.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Bari ~ That's a horrible place to be in. Try to reason it out and do what you think is best for you. I'm not bold enough to even attempt to offer advice.

I'm sorry you are in such a bind.

TrooperBari likes this.
  9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll work through things after drowning my emotions in Pepsi Black (stoopid panic buyers cleared out all the Diet Coke AND Coke Zero) and Stardew Valley. On the bright side, we still have leaders like this guy.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Neut, all the best to you and your family.
    Hunker down at home for a month, can you?

This shit is scary. I'm down the hidey hole myself.
    Load up on food and supplies. Then lock it all down.

Hoping for the best for all of you who still have to go to the workplace in all of this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The craziest thing about the reckless behavior - and I do think this comes after having a President tearing down the institutions that form the foundations of our country (the press, the judiciary, education, law enforcement, science etc.) to the point where many people pick and choose what they deem worthy of following (based on their political beliefs and how it impacts them) - is that there is still so much unknown about the virus.
    I don't wish anyone illness or death - but I'm astounded that there are leaders in this country that are encouraging and promoting reckless behavior. This virus doesn't care if you are an R or a D, poor or rich, a fan of SEC football or the opera. Why would you put the lives of loved ones and friends at risk? Of people you don't even know?
    Stuff like this happens and if you view it as a test of where we are at as a people - I think we've failed.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Death toll to 924. Alabma, Alaska and North Carolina are off the list, which is now at 11 states without a death. So close to a top 10!

Delaware
    Idaho
    Maine
    Montana
    Nebraska
    New Mexico
    North Dakota
    Rhode Island
    South Dakota
    West Virginia
    Wyoming

Draft saved Draft deleted