1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random '80s baseball player name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Alan Trammell to Sweet Lou Whitaker

maumann likes this.
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Kurt Bevacqua

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Charlie Lea

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rose Bowl co-MVP Rick Leach

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Woodie Fryman. Played until 1983.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bruce Ruffin.
    Had a nice career as a reliever, but his biggest claim to fame might be as the guy the Phillies called up from the minors to replace Steve Carlton when Carlton was released in the middle of the 1986 season.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ken Phelps and Jay Buhner.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That made me think of Pat Combs, who for a few short weeks in September 1989, looked like the next great Phillies Ace.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

My favorite Dodger when I covered them. Great guy, great attitude. He didn't like ballplayers, liked to go drinking with the writers. Whenever he had a few drinks, the next day he ran extra to work it out of his system. A couple of times, he and Jerry Reuss ran back to the hotel in Chicago -- Wrigley Field to the Hyatt, might have been 6-7 miles. They beat the bus once.

He accepted the "Fat tub of goo" comment, as usual, with a laugh and a smile. He went on Letterman's show after that. Letterman asked him about it, Forster said, just a second, and he pulled a taco out of his jacket pocket and started eating it. Then he pulled another out of his other pocket.

First time I wanted to interview him at Vero Beach, along with a guy who is now the columnist in Baltimore, he was great. We were getting started and he asked if we had a car (we did). He said his wife was supposed to pick him up, but wasn't there yet. "Hey, can you guys drive me back to my condo and you can interview me on the way?" OK.

We pulled out of Dodgertown. He said, turn right, here. There was a liquor story around the corner. We bought a sixer of Heineken and a bottle opener. He and I drank, while the other guy drove. I took notes. We got about halfway to his condo and he thought he saw his wife's car going the other direction. "Shit, she is coming for me. Let's see if we can catch her." So Driver flips a U-turn at the next opportunity and we begin the chase. He got it up to 75 or 80 mph (he wasn't drinking, but we had open containers in the car). We finally caught up with her ... back at Dodgertown.

Showing his great attitude. He gave up the infamous homer to Joe Morgan that ended the Dodgers' pennant chase in 1982 (his arm was a rag by then because Lasorda continually burned up his bullpen). We got back the LAX, his wife (an absolute beauty) and his two adorable daughters were there to meet the plane. I walked behind them toward the escalator. He turned and saw me. I said, "It's a good thing you've got such cute kids or you wouldn't have anything going for you." He laughed and smiled. Great attitude.

Last thing. Al Campanis on Forster and his wife: "The only reason she married him is because she wanted to be an actress and thought being with a Dodger could help her." I don't remember her name, but of the early '80s Dodgers, she and Cyndy Garvey were probably the best looking wives.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Rickey Henderson

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Carney Langsford

Draft saved Draft deleted