1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Gonna take at least 6 months to get North Wilkesboro back into inhabitable condition.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

100% agree, but the last time I was through there - which was several years ago - the first thing you'd have to do is take a lawnmower to the track. At least the other three still holds races.

3. Driftwood

I'd add Rockingham in a heartbeat.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

So if your Sunday afternoon is available ...

5. Driftwood

I'd rather watch replays of races from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

I mean, they're doing it anyway and the Replacements 100 event on iRacing got a lot of attention. Why not try it?

iRacing goes out of its way to make sure its track maps are accurate — they even laser-map racetracks around the world — which pays off when the simulated track gives users an exact simulation of the facility. For instance, eNASCAR's Homestead event is right now and I'm sure nobody's surprised to hear that the cars are just riding around Homestead in single file with minimal passing.

7. Driftwood

I’ve just had the best time ripping my dad a new one over the NASCAR iRace. This morning he said “I’m not watching that. That’s just some kind of simulation.” I said “You don’t know what it is until you see it. Just because something is different doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad.” I forced him to sit down and watch. He fixed his popcorn as the race started. It took until about they took the green, and he was all “Boy, I want you look at that. That’s almost real. Somebody smart figured that out. Blah. Blah. Blah.” I still may hit him.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

You know, no price gouging at the track. No drunks falling on you in the grandstands and yelling obscenities. No burning of unnecessary fossil fuels. No concerns over SAFER barriers, HANS devices or jet dryers. Maybe NASCAR's onto something.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Driftwood

I'm more of an "any port in a storm" guy with this.
    To quote the Stoker Ace theme "It's a downright joy for a country boy when he hears them engines moan."
    The sensory feeling of a race - smell, vibration, sound, - can't ever be replaced.
    I've been behind the wheel of race cars, worked the pits, sat in the stands, and worked in the press box.
    The difference between actual racing and iRacing on TV isn't much. The difference between it and the track is immeasurable.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  10. Driftwood

I just walked next door to my folks' to see if my dad was still watching.
    I went in the front door. He wasn't in his chair. I figured he'd bailed and was sitting out back.
    I heard him standing in the back door, yelling at the dog, "Come on. Get in here. I'm going to watch the race."
    I figured my work was done and just slipped out without him knowing I was there.

11. Driftwood

That was actually a good finish. I actually yelled out loud as they came off turn 4.

maumann and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pretty much like an Impossible burger. It's good enough. And Iraces are never weather-delayed. I'm thinking there are pretty enormous sponsorship opportunities. I also imagine this is what Darrell Waltrip will be doing for the next few years. Being the analyst while players race around tracks old and new (Nazareth! Riverside!) in classic car color designs - Tide, STP, etc.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted