1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning To Be Zen During The Plague

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OscarMadison, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Went for a walk in my neighborhood as it's a nice day, sunny and low 50s, and it was most therapeutic. More people out than there ever are during more normal times, because what else is there to do. People smilier and exchanging more pleasantries, too. But my jones for sports is real bad. On the street one block away, a South Asian family of two kids, mom and dad and either an uncle or a granddad were playing pickup cricket in their driveway with a tennis ball. I stood and watched for five minutes.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Dr. Johnny Fever is Bernie from Weekend At Bernie's

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Booger!

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

no joke

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

My wife and I have 5 sets of lectures comprising "The Great Courses" from The Learning Company and we have decided to watch a lecture every day at 2:00 PM. Our first course is called "The Great Structures" and it deals with the history of and the construction of great structures built by man - - and why they do what they were intended to do.

The course is taught by a civil engineer on the faculty at the US Military Academy. So far, it is very interesting.

OscarMadison, garrow and Wenders like this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"The Te of Piglet"

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Dr. Sarah Parcak is a professor of archaeology at UAB. She's best known for using analysis of satellite and drone photos to find previously unsuspected sites.

She's got five university courses up you can watch, intro to archeology, biblical arch, a couple of different types of Egyptian arch as well. If anyone is interested in the details, hit me up. It's free.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That's actually very nice.

OscarMadison and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I’m running (or at least walking) every day to keep my spirits up and shedding weight.

Cooking with my teenagers every day while also keeping a sense of calm amid the chaos and disappointment of their semester.

Trying to lead by example. In a recession, there are two jobs. Stay healthy. Keep your job.

Don’t be afraid to change your goals amid bumpy seas.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I was feeling out of sorts the last few days: Tense, a headache like my sinuses were clogged, can't sleep. Took a walk this afternoon for the first time. Two things: One, I'm out of shape (even if just last week I was on my feet in front of middle schoolers) and two walking was so relaxing. Hope to get out tomorrow with the wife.

That said, social distancing was weird. Did my best to avoid people. Was bizarre.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I went out and made a run to pick up BBQ this afternoon. I'd been cleaning and I did not feel like the time and effort to cook, plus we want to support a local business. I get there and the exterior doors are propped open, no need to touch them. I pushed the interior door open with my knuckles, didn't touch the handle. All was well until I went to pay. ATM card swiped, and then I had to put in my pin. Looked down at the keyboard and wondered how many fingers had been on it. Punched the number in with a knuckle, felt good, although odd to be so paranoid about something I would normally do without thought. Then I had to sign it, and there was nothing to do but grab the pen and just do it.

Washed my hands as soon as I got home. It was an odd version of something which normally would be simple and routine.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Spent a few hours at the local food bank. Felt good to get out and do something. Feels even better to be tired at the end of the day.

OscarMadison and Baron Scicluna like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted