1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tampa Bay Times layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Oct 24, 2019.

1. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

At least when Gannett did them in 2009-12 there was no such thing as a wink/wink. You were officially out that week and couldn't be reached or else you could bring up state and federal complaints because a furlough in essence means you are laid off for the week.

Fredrick likes this.
  2. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

I once had to shoo a reporter home because he got his days mixed up and tried to come back off furlough a day early. Got a lot of grumbling, but he appreciated me saving him from another unpaid week (at my shop, if you were salaried and didn’t do the full week, the week didn’t count, they turned into vacation days and you had to take another furlough week).

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jesus, what a maddening story. I pass one of Garda's warehouses/parking lots every day to/from work. If I'm ever on the road and see one of those trucks, I'm pulling over for a few minutes. Unreal.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Wow. Sherman announces he is among the Times' newest cuts.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Been four years since I worked for him. Seems like yesterday.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

7. playthrough

Another sports reporter was let go. 24-year staffer.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

9. Oh no - who was it?

10. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Both prep reporters tweeted today that they have been let go. Both had been there for 20+ years. Read local? How?

11. playthrough

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wow - good thing there isn't any big sports news in Tampa around now. :mad: I understand that advertising in papers will plummet with coronavirus closures but, damn - I don't know how a news organization can do something like this at a time like this. Get creative, reach out to the business community and say it is their civic duty to support the local newspaper, sell advance ads at a discount for when things come back. Have news orgs eliminated paywalls through the end of the month? Might be a good idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted