1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hyperbole time... the Hopkins trade is not the worst NFL trade ever, the worst is...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Atlanta trades the 19th overall pick for Brett Favre.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FOR ...

[​IMG]

heyabbott likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think it depends on whether you're taking context into account or not. Like, the various superstar "trade me or else" transactions are usually bad, but the teams often don't have a ton of leverage. Worse to me are when teams aren't feeling pressure and make a stupid move. The Mookie Betts trade was pretty awful to me, but it'll be "moot" in a way depending on what the fallout from the corona virus is. (Which the Red Sox didn't know about when they made the trade, but whatever; we don't tend to remember awful trades that one side got bailed out from via injury.)

To reach back into Red Sox history - Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson was awful, and pretty indefensible. Complete panic trade.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Atlanta got the 19th overall pick for Favre, who was a second-rounder and well on his way to being a drunken washout if the Falcons hadn't traded him.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Someone said the Trent Richardson trade was the best trade of all time......for the Colts.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Pedro for Delino

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The Carolina Panthers handing Washington two first-round picks for the right to sign the immortal Sean Gilbert.

expendable and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Weren't they a bit unsure about Bagwell and Anderson ended up doing pretty much exactly what they hoped he would do from the moment they dealt for him? It certainly wasn't a good trade, but hindsight really seems to make that one worse than it was at the time.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When did Kareem and Bagwell play in the NFL?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Kareem backed up Vince Ferragamo.

Didn't Bagwell spell Warren Moon ... or did he help when Dan Pastorini went down?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted