1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Oh, it applies to UVa men’s lacrosse too.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Do not remember the third-place winner. I do believe that it was the Reagan assassination attempt that marred the day, though.

Vombatus likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Hint: I love Lamp.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember Walton and UCLA threatened to boycott the 1974 third-place game against Kansas, but they ended up playing and winning.

Next year would have been Louisville vs. whoever Kentucky beat in the other semi, in San Diego. Can't remember if that was played, but if it was, it might have been one of the last ones.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Virginia defeated LSU.

Vombatus and Cosmo like this.
  6. Vombatus

1981. Played in the evening after Reagan had been shot earlier in the day.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually the penultimate NCAA third place game, in 1979, was a hell of a game, with DePaul beating Penn 96-93 in OT. I believe that game going to OT pushed up to within 30 minutes of the tip-off time of the much-hyped Bird-Magic title game and had the TV executives shttting themselves, "my god, what if it had gone double OT," etc etc, which fueled momentum for the sentiment to just get rid of it altogether.

John Wooden in particular made a big deal about how he wanted to get rid of it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was Reagan shooting.
    I used to know this shit..

LSU played...

Vombatus likes this.
  9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I also remembered the Academy Awards was supposed to be that night, but they postponed that to the next night after the assassination attempt.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Interesting! Yep, I forgot about that.

That made me look up the Oscars, because I thought they were always held on Sunday nights (which is true, from 1999 to the present.)

Prior to 1999, they were held on Tuesdays, and started moving to Mondays in the mid 1970s.

Thanks for pointing that out!

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted