1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Our Episcopal church (in Georgia) has shut down everything for at least the next two weeks. Since the median age of those attending services seems to be about 70, I think it's a good idea even though we don't have any confirmed cases in the area yet.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What you've done is repeatedly demonstrate your bigotry toward Muslims again and again. That is why I post things that you might find insulting. I have no patience for it.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The coronavirus issue is perhaps uniquely awkward for churches.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If god created the virus, and god created everything, isn’t it wrong to pray for the end to one of god’s creations?

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is laughable. Because you judge everyone on this board. Repeatedly, as you as say, and no matter what anyone says.

I have no problem with Muslim people. I have a problem with their religion, for legitimate reasons. I don't find your posts insulting. They are insulting, far more so than my posts about Islam.

The fact is, you have no patience, no tolerance for anything.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Way more people showed up at service today than I expected. Not much social distancing. Lots of sanitizer though. We changed communion, that went fine. Not real sure we should hold another service next Sunday.

7. outofplace

It's not everybody or everything. That's you looking for way to blame the messenger for a message you don't like.

You took great offense to others telling you that Muslims and Jews pray to the same G-d that you do even though that is the absolute truth. You rambled on and on about the violence in Islam. You can lie to us about not having an issue with Muslims. Perhaps you are even lying to yourself. Just don't expect any reasonable person to believe you.

They are fine, but their religion is awful? You think I can't make the argument about the Christian belief system itself being awful? Seriously? Of course I can, but I stop short of that out of respect for the genuine Christians I know who are good people, mostly because they respect my faith as well.

The real issue is how people act in the name of those religions and Christianity has brought some serious horror upon the world. I really shouldn't have to go any further than Catholic Church covering up large numbers of priests molesting children for decades (and probably much longer than that) because they thought their institution was more important than protecting children. At this point, you may try to make a distinction between the born-again Christian you claim to be and the Catholic Church, but they are all part of Christianity. They all come from the book you seem to think is so infallible.

There is nothing wrong with faith. There is nothing wrong with believing that your religion is right. There is absolutely something wrong with trying to tell someone else their religion is wrong and then trying to force your religion-based ideals upon them. That is a big part of what you aren't understanding.

My posts are honest. I can't help it if you are insulted by the truth.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

feel better, oop

outofplace and OscarMadison like this.
  9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What this is supposed to look like.

outofplace likes this.
  10. outofplace

Thank you, and Oscar is right. I'd say the wait on test results made me cranky, but too many people here know me better than that. :)

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Glad the test came back negative, OOP.

outofplace likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Good people would be good as atheists, Hindus, Jews, Muslims ... Given the history of Christianity, good Christians are just good people who have a particular religion. I have a hard time find the correlation between Christianity as it’s been practiced for 17oo hundred and the civility and kindness of some of its adherents.

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted