1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Just stopped by to post this. I haven't read it but it fits this thread.

Mine has a picture!

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Mine announced this week that it was shutting down -- as in, don't go to the church for anything -- no services, no meetings, no work, no life groups, nothing -- until further notice.

There have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus in my area, and I kind of think this is a bit much. I believe churches that may be doing this are, essentially, just trying to be not only proactive, but also just, well, community-minded as it were, by showing a willingness to participate in the social distancing that seems to be the current rage in attempts to keep crowds from gathering, and hopefully, the virus from spreading.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in playing "Gotcha!" and pointedly insulting other individuals, or getting insulted myself, with every post, which is what you tend to do.

Tell me what you know that would enlighten me. That's the point of a discussion.

I've shared more than most on here so that people might see or get where I'm coming from, and see that I'm not coming from a place of total ignorance or lack of exposure or interest, which is where most "ignorant" people are. I've pointed people in the direction of reading that I believe has taught me a lot, and that I would recommend to anyone wanting to know what I've learned.

I'd suggest you doing the same, and then we can actually get back to this discussion.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

$$$$ for tax-exempt churches. Fear-induced $$$$.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

9. tapintoamerica

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Do they have a piece of the real cross. My 3rd grade teacher said she did

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

How else am I going to prove I'm down with my fellow kids?

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Guess you won’t be hearing the believers voice of victory, then. So sad for you!

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted