1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2020 PGA Tour thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The internal pressure within the club to hold the tournament if at all possible will be tremendous. I mean, there's no real good reason to join Augusta National unless you want to be involved with the Masters in some way. There are other clubs just as exclusive with courses as good or almost as good, Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Seminole, Chicago GC, just to name some off the top of my head.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about that. The greencoats are all tycoons and/or good ol' boys and I think it would be easy for them to shrug it off and wait a year to hold the Toooonamint as it's meant to be in April. At many of the super-elite courses like the ones you mentioned, members don't want the hassle of tournament golf at all. In Augusta's case, they're traditionally closed in summer/early fall and a reschedule would throw off all the rhythms.

All that said, calling this a "postponement" instead of a cancellation to me is their way of sticking it to the PGA Tour as if to say "we still rule the golf world and reserve the right to play anytime and completely upstage whatever silly tournament you have that week."

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, that's Augusta National, chapter and verse. Always in control. Always controlling the situation and message.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know it's supposed to be a big secret, but when I was at the Masters they had in the press center a list of all members involved with the various committees that run the tournament, and it contained so many names it HAD to be a big majority of members.

5. playthrough

Oh, I'm sure it is. And I'm sure they enjoy the gigs, how couldn't they? But I think they can take it or leave it on a one-year basis.

Wonder what will happen to all the 2020 Masters merchandise if there's no event. Can't really picture those shirts going to third-world countries.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

it would be the one way to get people of color in Masters gear who weren’t carrying clubs.

HanSenSE and playthrough like this.
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Anybody else wondering how this affects the fed ex cup?

TigerVols likes this.
  8. playthrough

Interesting how according to Tour regulations, an event that completes one round before cancellation pays out half the purse to the field, divided equally. So everyone who played Thursday gets $52k.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Hondo?

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Anyone else besides Hondo?
    [​IMG]

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Interesting thing about that.
    They technically didn't get one round completed.
    There was still one group left on the course when it was called because of darkness.
    And he was very clear about C.T. Pan who withdrew before the round yesterday--"He did not compete."
    What about Oosthuizen......he with drew after 8 holes for screwing up his shoulder........Would he still get a piece of that?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I just remember hearing how popular and important it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted