1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just watched Episode 9 and have to agree. Can’t wait for finale. Weekly is more fulfilling than binging.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wife got me started on a BBC (James Cordon in 2000s), “Gavin and Stacey “. Pretty hilarious at times.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I watched the first season of 'You.' I liked it. It was well done in a lot of ways. I don't really want to watch another season of it. I watched the first episode of the second season and I couldn't take it. It just seemed like a repeat and not as well done.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The Wrong Mans is also quite delightful, if you haven't seen that yet.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Several people I know swear by Schitt's Creek, but the episodes I've seen made it seem as little more than an Arrested Development knock-off. It does finally start turning better late into Season 2.

Also - Black-ish is at its best when it makes you slightly uncomfortable.

6. DanOregon

After seeing Mulaney on SNL, I checked out the Sack Lunch Bunch thing on Netflix (which also features David Byrne and Jake Gyllenhaal). I've always been fascinated by theater kids. Growing up (my sister was one), I never knew why some kids really wanted to be on stage and show off and open themselves to ridicule - just being a kid was tough enough, but why go out of your way in front of total strangers? That said - I enjoyed Zoom and the Electric Company. The show hits a lot of the same notes as those shows, but in an odder and funnier way. Theater kids always seem too damn precocious to begin with - having them sing and dance about their grandma's boyfriend or that they only eat noodles with a little bit of butter (in a very confident way) only makes it better.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

An outsider knows an outsider.

TigerVols, Wenders and Cosmo like this.
  8. DanOregon

Season 3 of Snowfall is no Narcos: Mexico, but it is decent. Anytime you get Walter Mosley writing and Thomas Schlamme behind the camera - they tend to do decent work.

9. DanOregon

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

From the last episode, it was pretty obvious it wasn't going to work, because their awkwardness with one another and how awful Peter's mom was. As someone who "enjoys" the show as a quasi-hatewatch, this season was especially bad - just an awful batch of contestants, a lead that never asserted control, the crazy mom that provides an example for why he was so bad at dealing with conflict, and at every turn just icky producer decisions like making sure the virgin contestant was the third fantasy suite night. I think the trainwreck nature of it all led to high ratings this year, but there has to be diminishing returns for this in the future, kind of similar to how pro wrestling finally had to go more PG at a certain point.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If you like superheroes meets Riverdale, Ragnarok on Netflix is really good.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get into the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Just finished what was a pretty decent episode with an actor Paul Sand.

Looked familiar so went down a few rabbit holes and he had a sitcom for one season, not good.

But Penny Marshall apparently was in it. This was a few years before Laverne & Shirley.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted