1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worst Movie Sequel Ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

She had a similar arc with the Thor/MCU series, didn't she?
    I thought that was part of why she wasn't in the Avengers movies or Ragnarok.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Maybe acting is like sports; you know who the studs are early.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Starman-
    Portman went from studying the affectations of Lauren Bacall for her role in The Phantom Menace (and you can see this hokey accent was shitcanned for episodes II and III) to sleepwalking through the final installment.
    This is someone who'd always taken herself dreadfully seriously and once had the total lack of self-awareness to say:
    "I don't care if college ruins my career. I'd rather be smart than a movie star."
    That statement after making a movie that grossed $900 million.
    Worst actor/actress in the franchise.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Portman is certainly capable of great acting and she wasn't really bad in The Phantom Menace. I didn't think she was bad in Thor, either. Like Batman said, her performance got worse as time went on in both franchises. It really is odd that they are bringing her back for Thor: Love and Thunder. I guess being more interested in the new direction for the character might get her to give a damn again, but that seems like an unsafe bet.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's amazing how deep this conversation has gone on Star Wars and its sequels. It's a fucking series for children, many of whom saw it when they were kids, LOVED it, then expected it to still ring their bells when they were older. The three prequels were garbage. I tried giving subsequent ones a chance, but all I kept thinking was, "Everything has a season, and the season for this shit was when I was 10."

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

how much do u lift tho bro

7. CD Boogie

Really? Didn't think my take was reflective of a hardo, but I guess that's your reaction. Ce la vie.

EDIT: Note to self: You can trash on any movies, except the ones centering around superheroes and fake worlds. Then shit gets REAL!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  8. 3_Octave_Fart

I know right, I'm amazed by the level of care granted to a bunch of amateurs playing a basketball tournament every March.

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Extreme minority opinion, but I think the third Star Wars prequel is kind of great. Granted, you have to take the entire Padme/Anakin romance storyline and kick it back into the fairway for Lucas to make it seems like it's playing the way the script demands, but its depiction of how an enlightened society falls into a dark age resonates even more now than it did at the time of the original release.

10. CD Boogie

Can ya gamble on Star Wars? Fill out a Star Wars bracket? Nevermind, ya probably can...

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is a question to be asked about whether anything could recapture the feeling the original Star Wars had on us as kids. There wasn't another movie to compare it to, it was BIG!, it was funny, it was exciting. You grow up, 20 years later you've seen a ton more movies including dozens that ripped off the Star Wars premise and seems like it would be impossible to regain that feeling again. Whether Marvel, Star Wars or whatever, I tend to tune out during fight and action scenes because I know that a) the hero isn't going to die, b) there isn't going to be a new plot development while the fight is going on c) there will be another fight/action scene in 20 minutes.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

Nostalgia is big business. Although Rian Johnson and Ron Howard proved it's not always a cash cow if crappily made.

Draft saved Draft deleted