1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts at the Plain Dealer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Mar 9, 2020.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Just awful what's happened over the past decade-plus in Cleveland.

2. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

It's unfortunate, but the plan from Day 1 has been to have zero Plain Dealer journalists, zero Guild journalists, with every reporter employed under the Cleveland.com umbrella. Everyone knew that. Even the Guild knew that.

But instead of it happening overnight, it is happening over about 6-10 years.

That was more or less the implicit deal with the union and it's exactly what has happened.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How many times a week does the Plain-Dealer print?

Have the Plain-Dealer and Cleveland.com maintained a separate beat structure. For example, are/were there separate Browns beat reporters?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

PD prints every day. Delivers four days a week.

I'm not sure how separate the entities are. Pretty much everything appears both in print and on Cleveland.com.

5. LanceyHoward

Does anyone know why the Plain-Dealer prints n days home delivery is unavailable? Newsstand sales have plummeted.

6. LanceyHoward

So why is anyone left at the Plain-Dealer? The union contract?

7. cake in the rain

No. From the get-go, most of the sports reporters jumped ship, left the Guild and are and have been non-union employees of Cleveland.com.
    To the extent that a handful of sports reporters remained on the Plain Dealer side, they didn't duplicate their efforts. I'm honestly not sure if there are any sports reporters left on the Plain Dealer side today. Perhaps someone in Cleveland knows.

8. cake in the rain

My understanding is that Advance didn't want a big war at the time of transition and decided to play the long game rather than try to make sweeping changes at once. That has resulted in a somewhat strange hybrid product.

9. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

I’m curious to know what circulation is today versus a decade ago, just to compare to the union’s staffing data for the same time period.

10. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

11. nickp

nickp Active Member

One decade ago there were 300 Plain Dealer Guild employees covering Cleveland

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I guess Ace has no chance in hell now.

Draft saved Draft deleted