1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Preps writer in Port Charlotte, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by scottpzucker, Feb 26, 2020.

1. scottpzucker

scottpzucker New Member

The Sun Newspapers, headquartered in Port Charlotte, FL is looking for a preps writer to help cover eight area high schools for a group of daily and weekly newspapers. You will also contribute to coverage of the two area major league baseball spring training teams and two local minor league baseball teams. Candidates should have at least two years of experience and are expected to be able to write strong features, enterprise and game stories while building a strong social media following. You'll be expected to think digitally and be comfortable with video and shooting photos when necessary. You should be a strong team player who can collaborate with other reporters and occasionally handle night desk duty (no design). Applicants from Florida and the Southeast are encouraged to apply. Please email a cover letter, resume and three clips to: Scott Zucker, Sun Newspapers at scott.zucker@mysun.com. No phone calls, please. EOE.

2. PMO

PMO New Member

As a former SE at this paper, this gig gets the full seal of approval from me, so much so that I finally got a SJ.com account so I could toss my .02 on the board here. Great place to live. Baseball heaven, if it's your sport. The high school coaches are still pretty much the same people who were there when I was SE in the late 2000s/early 2010s. Some of those who are new either were assistants or were former athletes at said schools. Kind of a neat dynamic. Quality of life is pretty good in Charlotte County. Some of my very best friends on this planet either work at that company or live in that community. It will be the same way for anyone who lands this gig.

3. Peter Holland Jr.

Peter Holland Jr. New Member

Hi Scott, I'm interested in the position, but I am having a hard time sending my work clips to your email. Is there another way I can send you my work? If not I can send them through here. Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You're hired!

JM22720 and HanSenSE like this.
  5. scottpzucker

scottpzucker New Member

Peter, I’m not sure why you’re unable to send me your materials. I have received several from other potential candidates. I’m not sure what to tell beyond that. Good luck.

Ben Pope and Waldo9939 like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And fetch us some beers before leaving for Florida.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. scott watkins

scott watkins New Member

I’ve also had trouble emailing the account. I’ve tried for about a week, neither gmail or outlook can send the email to “@mysun.com.” If there is an alternative option, please let me know.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That was way too easy.

9. indiehead

indiehead New Member

OMG...did anyone read the cover letter...

10. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

OK, time to finally reveal what is going on here. I have been lurking in this thread waiting to see if anyone would point this out. I'm gonna be the one to do it!

Mr. Zucker listed his email as "scott.zucker@mysun.com" If you send an email to that email address, it bounces. That email does not exist.

BUT! IF you do some research (which you should be doing anyway if you actually want this job), you will find that mysun.com is not an actual website. The real website is YOURsun.com. Clearly the applicants who applied for this job and actually got through to him were the ones who went through the five minutes of doing any actual research whatsoever.

Not sure if Mr. Zucker has done this on purpose or not, but it sure is a clever way to sort through the idiots who don't read anything more than a job listing!

PaperDoll and Tom Ato like this.
  11. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Also, the 'S' in the email address of the first post is linked to HR@news-jrnl.com.

Sounds like a social experiment or something.

12. Situation

Situation Member

Reads like he hired someone from India to write it for a couple dollars.

Draft saved Draft deleted